DSM local challenge
We know that you love supporting local businesses, but could you shop exclusively at local businesses for seven days? We know you can!
The Greater Des Moines Partnership and Catch Des Moines jointly launched the DSM Local Challenge to encourage Greater Des Moines (DSM) residents to support local businesses while practicing social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic. The DSM Local Challenge also encourages supporting small businesses providing business-to-business services such as professional development, consulting, printing, marketing, accounting, IT solutions and more.
Take The Challenge
Join us June 25 – July 1 for the 7-Day DSM Local Challenge. During this time, make sure every dollar you spend is spent locally. Challenge yourself to seek out a local business for anything you might need that week and go beyond your usual shopping lists. A new book? Home improvement projects or décor? Outdoor games or activities? Find it locally! If you need an extra challenge, check out the local products and ingredients at locally-owned restaurants and grocery stores.
Make the Pledge
Make a commitment to the challenge and pledge to shop at only locally owned businesses from June 25 – July 1. Pledge your support for locally owned businesses by completing the online form. After making the pledge, post the “I Pledge” graphic below and tag three friends on social media by saying, "I pledge to take the 7-Day DSM Local Challenge and challenge (friends' names) to do the same," linking out to this web page. Anyone signed up by June 26 will have their name shared in a social media graphic on July 2.
After making the pledge, post the “I Pledge” graphic below and tag three friends on social media by saying, "I pledge to take the 7-Day DSM Local Challenge and challenge (friends' names) to do the same," linking out to this web page.
Share Your Support
Use #DSMlocalchallenge on social media to share how you spent your money locally, things you learned along the way or a new favorite local shop. Post a picture of your purchases and download one of the “I Took the 7-Day DSM Local Challenge” badges below to share on social media when you complete the challenge. And of course, we encourage you to tag friends to take the challenge as well!
DSM Local Challenge Badges
Ways to Support Local
Tickets – Purchase a membership, season passes or tickets to cultural attractions, or even a virtual training seminar or event
- Retail Therapy – Shop online for clothing, jewelry, shoes
- Donate – Pay it forward! Consider donating to food banks, hospitals, nonprofits, blood banks, etc.
- Carry Out – Order local food, drink or dessert for curbside pick up
- Home Goods – Shop online for art, furniture, gardening or flowers
- Stay and Play – Plan a stay-cation with a gift card to a local hotel
- Entertainment – Book your spot at a future concert or purchase records, movies or board games
- Get Pampered – Schedule a future appointment or pay ahead for a haircut, massage, spa visit, mani/pedi
- Dining Delivered – Order a meal or treat for delivery
- Get Creative & Support Local – Think outside the box! Remember to keep in mind B2B services, too!
Need Help Finding Local?
If you need help finding a product, here are a few sites we recommend:
Watch this video to learn more about how buying local positively impacts our community:
#DSMlocalchallenge in DSM USA: