World Food & Music Festival is This Weekend, Sept. 14 - 16
DOWNTOWN DES MOINES, IOWA (Sept. 12, 2018) — The 14th Annual World Food & Music Festival will take place this weekend, Sept. 14 – 16, in Western Gateway Park in Downtown Des Moines (DSM). More than 50 food vendors representing more than 25 countries and culinary regions will be featured at DSM’s premier food and music festival.
Kat Perkins, a semi-finalist on NBC’s “The Voice,” will headline Friday night on the Polk County Board of Supervisors Main Stage. The Tony Bohnenkamp All Star Band will headline the stage Saturday night. Other performing bands include Ace Jones, Lily DeTaeye, Joshua Sinclair, The Sheet, The Maytags, Girls Rock! Des Moines, Punching Pandas, Parranderos, Birdchild, NOLA Jazz Band, the Brazilian 2wins and David Zollo and the Body Electric.
New this year
- The Festival will kick-off with a Naturalization Ceremony at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 14 on the Polk County Board of Supervisors Main Stage. During this special event, approximately 50 individuals will become U.S. Citizens.
- The Festival is partnering with Meals from the Heartland to package more than 60,000 meals at The Festival which will be sent to orphanages and schools around the world.
- The Festival is expanding the merchandise program to allow visitors to screen print their own Festival t-shirt in just minutes. Guests can also purchase pre-printed t-shirts, koozies, aprons and stickers.
Other Festival features include
- 20 local chefs will demonstrate their culinary prowess at the Meredith Culinary Discovery Pavilion.
- The Nationwide Cooking Challenge will bring spectators to cheer on their favorite team while vying for a taste of their creations.
- Attendees will be able to take a trip around the world at the Cultural Discovery Experience. A variety of workshops, interactive presentations, hands-on activities and authentic cultural experiences will be presented throughout the three-day festival.
- The Chocolate and Fruit Adventure Tents will feature different foods and cultures from around the world for a global food experience.
- Selfie Stations provide guests unique photo opportunities at international destinations.
The World Food & Music Festival is sponsored by Prairie Meadows, Polk County Board of Supervisors, Principal, Nationwide, Stella Artois, Bravo Greater Des Moines, Meredith Corporation, Voya Financial, MidAmerican Energy Company, Iowa Arts Council — a division of the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs, the National Endowment for the Arts, Wells Fargo, SHIPT, WHO-HD 13, The Des Moines Register, More 104.1, Bankers Trust, Community Choice Credit Union, Fujifilm Instax, Hy-Vee Inc., Lasik Vision Institute, Pella Windows and Doors of Central Iowa, Raising Cane's, Renewal by Andersen, Veridian Credit Union and Vero.
Members of the media who wish to do on-site interviews should contact Sam Hoyle at shoyle@DSMpartnership.com or (515) 520-4132 during the Festival weekend. For more information on the World Food & Music Festival, visit worldfoodandmusicfestival.org.
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 23 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,100 Regional Business Members and more than 340 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.