This Holiday Season, Embrace Winter and Support Local
As you read this, it is likely the Thanksgiving holiday has just recently passed. We have plenty to be thankful for this year as our region continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and we are able to gather and enjoy the vibrancy of Greater Des Moines (DSM).
One of the key focuses of the Greater Des Moines Partnership’s work to keep DSM strong during the pandemic was to support small businesses. Our community stepped up in a time of need. We are again heading into the holiday shopping season, and supporting local is as important as ever. We encourage everyone to embrace winter, shop at neighborhood small businesses and eat at local restaurants as you do your holiday shopping.
Small Business Saturday
Saturday, Nov. 27 is Small Business Saturday. There are plenty of options in the DSM region to shop at small businesses, from the Historic Valley Junction to Pella’s shopping district. The Partnership has put together a number of DSM Local Buying Guides around a variety of topics including restaurants, brunch spots, self care and return-to-office fashion, as well as a number of holiday-centric buying guides for holidays that take place throughout the year. Find a full list at DSMpartnership.com/DSMlocal.
Support Local During Holiday Events
Even if you do not get a chance to shop on Small Business Saturday, there are plenty of opportunities to support local as you embrace winter throughout December.
The Holiday Promenade in Historic East Village takes place every Friday between now and Dec. 17. Attendees can shop at Historic East Village retailers, eat at local restaurants and participate in special activities each week. Learn more at holidaypromenade.com.
- Bundle up and check out the next Downtown Winter Farmers’ Market presented by UnityPoint Health – Des Moines takes place on Saturday, Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. This year’s Winter Markets are outdoors in the Historic Court District in the same location as the traditional Saturday Markets that take place in spring, summer and fall. Learn more at desmoinesfarmersmarket.com.
- The Christkindlmarket Des Moines is Dec. 2 – 5 at Principal Park, which will feature local vendors selling artisanal, hand-crafted products, food and more. Learn more at christkindlmarketdsm.com.
- Downtown DSM Hide and Seek Ornaments You Keep is Dec. 3 – 12 throughout locations in Downtown DSM. Local artists will hide handmade ornaments near retailers, restaurants and attractions, providing a great opportunity to participate in a fun activity while supporting local. Learn more at downtownDSMUSA.com/hideandseek.
- Historic Valley Junction will host Jingle in the Junction each Thursday evening through Dec. 16 with extended hours for many stores. Learn more at valleyjunction.com/events.
- Pella will host Kerstmarkt, a Dutch Christmas Market, on Dec. 2 – 4. Learn more at pella.org.
These are a few of the many opportunities to support local businesses this holiday season. This is an important time of year for so many small, local retailers and restaurants. We encourage you: Do your part to help your friends, family, neighbors and fellow community members be successful.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 365 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.