The 19th annual Holiday Promenade will be filled with more holiday cheer and merriment than ever before as the traditional activities are spaced over six weeks. Festivities will occur over six Sundays and six Wednesdays in November and December creating The 12 Days of Promenade.
The Historic East Village provides a unique experience for the community with a mix of shops, restaurants, holiday lights and attractions including Brenton Skating Plaza, the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, the State Historical Building and the Iowa State Capitol. Each Sunday will feature a holiday activity and reserved parking for easy package pickups, and businesses will have special deals and features within their business each Wednesday.
Date & Hours
Sundays, Nov. 15 – Dec. 20
11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Featuring special event activities and reserved parking for pick-up.
Wednesdays, Nov. 18 – Dec. 23
4 – 8 p.m.
Featuring festive holiday lights and special deals at participating businesses.
Thank You to the Following 2020 Sponsors:
111 E. Grand | Marv's Music | The Patty & Jim Cownie Charitable Fund | Beal Derkenne Construction | Christensen Development | LifeServe Blood Center | Community Choice Credit Union | Real Advantage Partners of RE/MAX PRECISION | Kitchen Collage | HoQ Restaurant | Indie House | Porch Light | She Home and Gift
Sunday Activities, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Each week will feature live music, roaming carolers and photo opportunities. Special parking meters are reserved throughout the Historic East Village for easy pick-up for online orders. Stay on the nice list and only use these meters for 15 minutes or less.
- Nov. 15 | 12 Days of Promenade Scavenger Hunt: Participants who find all 12 Days signs in store windows will win a special prize. Start the hunt at the Promenade Information Station located at 503 E. Locust St.
- Nov. 22 | Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides
- Nov. 29 | International Celebrity Santa Claus
- Dec. 6 | Wreath Walk: Explore beautiful wreaths throughout the Historic East Village or join the festivities and create an evergreen swag at the Des Moines Botanical Garden! Just stop by between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and create a small- to medium-sized evergreen swag. Room capacity will be limited to no more than 15 people at a time with sanitizing in between each person and/or group. The cost is $5 for both Botanical Garden members and non-members.
- Dec. 13 | Santa's Elves will be on the loose in the Historic East Village randomly handing out gifts to shoppers. Children who would like to send Santa their wishes electronically may click here to have their wish delivered.
- Dec. 20 | Reindeer Games: Promenade through the Historic East Village and find all nine of Santa's reindeer in store windows and win a special prize. Start the hunt at the Promenade Information Station located at 503 E. Locust St. Live reindeer will be on-site from 1 – 3 p.m.
A Promenade Information Station is open each week at 503 E. Locust St. Stop here for information about the week's activity or a map of the neighborhood.
Wednesday Activities, 4 – 8 p.m.
Shop the Historic East Village's extended store hours and take advantage of special in-store specials. This list is updated frequently so visit often.
See List of Deals
Spread Holiday Cheer!
Holiday Promenade Playlist
Another way to help spread holiday cheer is to play the best holiday music for all to hear. Listen to the official Holiday Promenade playlist on Spotify!
The Promenade is looking for choir groups to stroll around the Historic East Village and help spread holiday cheer to guests and local businesses with festive songs. Interested groups may contact Colleen Murphy at (515) 286-4915 or cmurphy@downtownDSMUSA.com to learn more.
Historic East Village Businesses
Historic East Village businesses interested in submitting a deal or promotional activity, click here.
Sponsors and General Event Inquiries
Colleen Murphy | Downtown Events Director
Courtney Shaw | Vice President of Communications
Greater Des Moines Partnership