The Perfect Farmers' Market Caprese Salad Recipe
The Downtown Farmers’ Market is one of the best places to create an amazing caprese salad. From traditional to modern twists, there are so many options to wow friends and family with this versatile, healthy and yummy salad.
A traditional Caprese consists of tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, torn basil leaves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, plus salt and pepper to taste. We’ve given the salad a twist by adding fresh, crusty bread from Big Sky Bread. However, you can really use any bread that you like including their spicy cheese bread, which just pulls apart. The key with adding bread to this salad is that it’s done right before serving so that it does not absorb the dressing and become mushy.
Caprese Bread Salad
Serves: 6 - 8
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes in the refrigerator
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup mozzarella pearls
- 1/2 loaf of crusty bread like French, Italian or Focaccia
- 1/4 cup basil, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a medium bowl with the mozzarella pearls and basil.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour half onto the tomato mozzarella mixture.
- Cut or tear bread into small bite-sized pieces and mix into the salad right before serving.
- Place the remaining dressing in a dish for guests to add more or save in an air-tight container for usage within five days.
Not a tomato fan? No worries. Substitute tomatoes with watermelon or peaches for a modern twist on this fresh-to-table salad.
From May to October, experience local artists, live music and entertainment at the Downtown Farmers’ Market featuring nearly 300 family farmers, bakers, artists and crafters from around the state. It’s easy to visit with plentiful and affordable street and ramp parking options.