How To Get There
Located in the center of Downtown Des Moines’ (DSM's) Historic Court District, the Downtown Farmers’ Market is easy to spot once you’re in the city. If the Market goers strolling toward the center of the activity don’t tip you off, then the Polk County Courthouse will. Find the courthouse’s distinctive grey peaked roof and you’ve found The Market. There is plenty of parking, both free and paid options, for all Market goers. With a bike valet, several parking garages and a variety of surrounding roads, The Market is easily accessible. You can also hop on one of the numerous bus routes from DART that will take you within a block or two of The Market.
Download The Market Map
Visitors have numerous options available adjacent to The Market. Several free and paid parking meters, lots and garages are available on streets surrounding The Market.
Patrons are also encouraged to use a free bike valet service or park along the Downtown Farmers' Market DART D-Line route. Read below for more information.
Free Downtown Farmers’ Market Shuttle (May – October)
The Market has partnered with Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) to offer extended Saturday service for The Market during the months of May through October. Attendees can park their vehicles anywhere along the route, hop on the bus and be dropped off near The Market between First Street and Fifth Avenue. The D-Line runs on Grand Avenue and Locust Street. Bus stops are located almost every block and marked specifically for the D-Line. D-Line buses will run approximately every 15 minutes on Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all passengers must wear masks and abide by social distancing protocol while riding the D-Line. Grocery bags, coolers, baby strollers and most items from The Market are allowed on DART buses. There is no eating or drinking while on the bus, but food and beverages are welcome if in closed containers.
How to Ride Tips
- Look for D-Line bus stop signs on Locust Street and Grand Avenue. Stand at one of the bus stop signs and wait where the driver can see you. Buses arrive approximately every 15 minutes.
- As the bus approaches, check the sign above the windshield to make sure it displays the name “D-Line.”
- The D-Line is a free-to-ride route. Simply hop on, find a seat and enjoy the ride.
- Stay alert and remember to signal the driver — you do this by pulling the cord above the window or pressing the stop button on the handrails approximately one block before your stop.
- If you are not sure where to get off, please ask the driver when you get on the bus. DART bus drivers are happy to help you!
- Download the MyDART app to get real-time arrival of buses. Available on iOS and Android.
Market visitors can ride their bikes and park free in the safe and secure bike valet staffed by the Street Collective, located inside the Terrus Real Estate Group parking ramp at the southeast corner of Second and Court Avenue. Staff are available to pump tires or change a flat. Find information on group rides and trail maps to The Market at the Street Collective.