Directions & Parking
Winter Market Parking Options
With thousands of parking spots available in Downtown Des Moines (DSM), there are plenty of options available for Winter Market attendees.
Iowa Events Center
- Parking is available north of the Iowa Events Center in their surface lot with entrances on Third Street, Fifth Avenue and Crocker Street
- This offers the closest and most convenient access to the facility.
- Cost: $10
- Park in the Fifth Avenue and Keo Way ramp (connected to the skywalk), Fourth Street and Grand Avenue parking ramp (connected to the skywalk) or the Center Street Park and Ride ramp on Seventh Street.
- Cost: $1 per hour; Center Street Park and Ride Ramp is $1 per hours for the first two hours and $0.50 for each additional hour.
- Visit the City of Des Moines' website for more information about parking garages.
Saturday Market (May – October Only)
Park & Ride Map | Free Shuttle | Bike Valet
Located in the center of Downtown Des Moines’ (DSM's) social area in the Historic Court District, the Downtown Farmers’ Market is easy to spot once you’re in the city. If the market-goers strolling toward the center of the activity don’t tip you off, then the Polk County Courthouse will. Find the courthouse’s distinctive grey peaked roof and you’ve found The Market. There is plenty of parking, both free and paid options, for all Market goers. With a bike valet, several parking garages and a variety of surrounding roads, The Market is easily accessible. You can also hop on one of the numerous bus routes from DART that will take you within a block or two of The Market.
Visitors have numerous options available adjacent to The Market. Several free and paid parking meters, lots and garages are available on streets surrounding The Market.
Patrons are also encouraged to use a free bike valet service or park along the Downtown Farmers' Market DART D-Line route. Read below for more information.
Download the D-Line Shuttle Route full map to learn about parking options near The Market and convenient D-line stops along the way.
The Market has partnered with Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) to offer extended Saturday service for The Market. In the months of May through October, the Downtown D-Line offers Saturday service to coincide with Market operating hours. Attendees can park their vehicles anywhere along the route, hop on the bus and be dropped off near The Market between First Street and Fifth Avenue. The D-Line runs primarily on Grand Avenue and Locust Street and uses the Walnut Street bridge to connect to the Historic East Village. Bus stops are located almost every block and marked specifically for the D-Line. D-Line buses will run approximately every 10 minutes on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. (8 a.m. – 5 p.m. during October). LEARN MORE.
Grocery bags, coolers, baby strollers and most items from The Market are allowed on DART buses. There is no eating or drinking while on the bus, but food and beverages are welcome if in closed containers.
How to Ride Tips
- Look for D-Line bus stop signs on Locust Street, Grand Avenue and Walnut Street. Stand at one of the bus stop signs and wait where the driver can see you. Buses arrive approximately every 10 minutes.
- As the bus approaches, check the sign above the windshield to make sure it displays the name “D-Line.”
- The D-Line is a free-to-ride route. Simply hop on, find a seat and enjoy the ride.
- Stay alert and remember to signal the driver — you do this by pulling the cord above the window or pressing the stop button on the hand rails approximately one block before your stop.
- If you are not sure where to get off, please ask the driver when you get on the bus. DART bus drivers are happy to help you!
- Download the MyDART app to get real-time arrival of buses. Available on iOS and Android.
Market visitors can ride their bikes and park free in the safe and secure bike valet staffed by the Des Moines Street Collective, located inside the Terrus Real Estate Group parking ramp at the southeast corner of Second and Court Avenue. Staff are available to pump tires or change a flat. Find information on group rides and trail maps to The Market at the Des Moines Street Collective.