'Non-Recipe' Recipe: Eggs with Pea Shoots
Elevate your scrambled eggs by adding a few fresh ingredients from the Downtown Farmers’ Market. Eggs with Pea Shoots incorporates spring garlic, pea shoots, fresh butter and marinated goat cheese purchased at The Market for a rich, savory breakfast dish.
When buying the ingredients for this dish keep in mind that you will have leftovers of most of the items. You can make a second batch of eggs or use them in other recipes.
On your visit to The Market stop by Grade A Gardens for a dozen eggs for $5. Pick up spring garlic for $1 at Mao’s Garden. Buy unsalted butter for $5 from the Better Butter Bureau. Pea shoots are available for $5 from Wabi Sabi Farm and a pint of Maren (marinated goat cheese) is $9 at Swede Point Creamery.
The pea shoots and garlic are both mild flavors and complement each other well. The Maren is the star of the show and you will want a small amount of cheese in every bite. You might even want to make some toast and top it with extra cheese.
Dish: Eggs with Pea Shoots
- 6 eggs, Grade A Gardens
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, Better Butter Bureau
- 1 cup pea shoots, Wabi Sabi Farm
- 4 balls Maren, Swede Point Creamery
- Cut pea shoots about two inches from the bottom of the stem. Wash and dry them then roughly chop and set aside.
- Wash the spring garlic and trim both ends. Use only the white and light green portion. Chop the garlic.
- In a bowl beat six eggs.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the eggs and stir as they cook. When they are cooked to your desired taste fold in 3/4 of the pea shoots.
- Put on plates, season with salt and pepper, top each serving with a few more pea shoots and a ball of Maren.
From May to October, experience local artists, live music and entertainment at the Downtown Farmers' Market featuring nearly 300 family farmers, bakers, artists and crafters from around the state. It’s easy to visit with plentiful and affordable street and ramp parking options.