With One Voice, Our Region is Positioned for a Strong Future
As we celebrate the end of 2021, I take pride and gratitude in the momentum we have experienced this year. We have seen game-changing placemaking projects move forward and be completed. We have experienced momentum in economic recovery. Our region is positioned well for a strong future.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership worked toward the completion of six Strategic Priorities in 2021 after beginning the work in 2020 as part of an 18-month plan to respond to and move forward from the pandemic. Strategies included inclusion, broadband expansion, strengthening the talent pipeline, talent and economic development marketing, business recovery, retention and expansion, and placemaking. Here are a few things we have accomplished as a Greater Des Moines Partnership and as a region in 2021 related to these strategies.
A number of placemaking projects took major steps forward:
- Our team has assisted on a number of Economic Development projects, including Worldwide Integrated Supply Chain Solutions, PDM, Des Moines International Airport, Allegiant Air, Cemen Tech, Des Moines Flying Service, the Des Moines Industrial Transloading Facility, Premier Tech Prairie, Facebook and more.
- The Partnership’s team provided consultations to 27 companies on developing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategies and plans, 11 participants enrolled in Certified Diversity Professional certifications classes, and the number of people who signed the CEO Commitment to Racial Equity in DSM grew to 219.
- The Partnership worked with regional partners to complete the Central Iowa Broadband Internet Study to create a framework under which governments, the public and providers can align to create solutions to the digital divide.
- The Partnership team launched a Future Ready DSM podcast highlighting the future world of work.
- Through its Talent and Economic Development marketing efforts, The Partnership attracted more than 66,000 unique visitors to its economic development web pages and more than 61,000 unique visitors to its talent attraction web pages.
- The Partnership team conducted 287 meetings to gather feedback from Investor and Member organizations.
- The Partnership hosted a Supplier Diversity Training Program series for small businesses and corporate purchasing agents.
- The Partnership team provided 450 hours in small business coaching/support and worked with several community partners to host the Summer Startup Tour, a monthlong series of free events to welcome DSM’s entrepreneurs, creators and makers back to the community.
- Hundreds of thousands of people attended major Downtown events including the Downtown Farmers’ Market presented by UnityPoint Health Des Moines and the World Food & Music Festival, in addition to a number of “surprise-and-delight” events to encourage people to support local businesses and add vibrancy to the region’s Downtown, including the Great DSM Hot Air Balloon Hunt, Downtown DSM Tweet Week, Chalk the Park, Downtown DSM Outdoor Movie Night, Downtown DSM Adventure Stories, Downtown DSM Silent Disco, Hide and Seek Ornaments You Keep and more.
• The Partnership worked with regional partners to launch the Downtown DSM: Future Forward vision and action plan.
These accomplishments were a direct result of our ability to work together as one region with one voice. We must carry this same attitude into 2022. We invite you to join us in celebrating 2021’s accomplishments and looking forward to 2022’s opportunities by joining us at The Partnership’s Annual Dinner on Thursday, Jan. 27 with keynote speaker Mia Hamm.
Register at DSMpartnership.com/annualdinner.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 365 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.