DSM Book Festival Announces Panels, Workshops for Upcoming Event
GREATER DES MOINES, IA (March 8, 2023) – The Greater Des Moines Partnership has announced workshops, authors panels and more for the upcoming 2023 DSM Book Festival. The Festival will take place on Saturday, March 25 at Capital Square in Downtown Des Moines (DSM).
- Books and Beans: Spring Book and Coffee Pairing with Storyhouse Bookpub and Daisy Chain Coffee
- Baking Blue Ribbons
- Building a Better Cheese and Charcuterie Board with Django Restaurant
- A Taste of the Dark: Writing True Crime and Tasting Wine
- Building Community with Poetry and Pints
- DSM Podcasts: Writing, Talking, Pressing Play
- Traveling Literally with John Shors
- Local Iowa Publisher Panel
- 101 Basic ASL and Deaf Culture
- There’s a Book Club for That with Raccoon River Press
Author Panels include
- Thrill(er) Ride – Lessons Learned on the Journey to Becoming a Novelist
- Iowa Non-Fiction Author Panel with Beaverdale Books
- Children’s Book Authors Panel with BookPress Publishing
- Iowa Fiction Author Panel with Beaverdale Books
- Book Marketing 101 with BookPress Publishing
As previously announced, the following authors will headline The Festival:
- Chris Bohjalian is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 24 books including “The Flight Attendant."
- NoViolet Bulawayo is the author of the novels “Glory” and “We Need New Names,” which was recognized with the Hurston/Wright Legacy Award, the Pen/Hemingway Award and the LA Times Book Prize Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction.
- Sequoia Nagamatsu is the author of the National Bestselling novel, “How High We Go in the Dark,” a New York Times Editors’ Choice, and the story collection, “Where We Go When All We Were is Gone.”
- Sarah Penner is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of “The Lost Apothecary” which has been translated into 40 languages worldwide. Her latest novel, “The London Séance Society,” was released earlier this month.
VIP options are available for attendees. VIP packages include signed copies of books from headlining authors, premier seats for author presentations, a commemorative DSM Book Festival item, 20% off at Beaverdale books and access to a VIP Suite. VIP packages begin at $60. Learn more here.
Food will be available for purchase during The Festival from Cajun Belle, Fredrich’s Coffee, Iowa Cookie Company and Jessen Concessions. Drink options will be announced at a later date. Keep up with the latest updates on The Partnership’s website.
The Festival is sponsored by Prairie Meadows, the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs, Dotdash Meredith, Bankers Trust, Kum & Go, the Kerry and Linda Killinger Foundation, John Ruan Foundation, Bravo Greater Des Moines, the Des Moines Public Library’s Authors Visiting in Des Moines (AViD) series, BH Companies and BookPress Publishing.
“As a media company built on creating inspiring content, sponsorship of this event is a perfect fit for Dotdash Meredith,” said Erica Jensen, SVP and Chief Communications Officer. “The exposure to world-class authors, interactive workshops, panels and other activities will give attendees a priceless hands-on experience that is unique to the DSM Book Festival.”
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 400 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.
About Downtown, DSM, Inc.
Downtown DSM, Inc. is part of the Greater Des Moines Partnership and is dedicated to ensuring the continued growth of Downtown Des Moines (DSM). A strong region needs a strong Downtown. Downtown DSM, Inc. leads efforts to drive development, placemaking and events in Downtown DSM. It promotes a strong Downtown through integration of retail, restaurants, businesses, housing, events and placemaking.