Live Music This Week in DSM: May 17-22, 2022
This week’s lineup of musical acts in Greater Des Moines (DSM) includes Scott Johnson on Wednesday, May 18, Sister Sara on Friday, May 20 and Hudson Road on Saturday, May 21. Don’t miss out on these local acts and others listed below.
Tuesday, May 17
“Freight Train” Frank at La Mie Restaurant in the Skywalk at 11 a.m.
- B. John Burns Disaster and Recovery Livestream at 5 p.m. – Local Streaming
- Blues Jam at Carl’s Place at 7:30 p.m.
- Portrayal of Guilt w/Yautja & Justice Fetish at xBk Live at 8 p.m.; $15-18
- Jeff Banks Unplugged and Unhinged at Greenwood Lounge at 9 p.m.
Wednesday, May 18
Scream at the Sky, Corrupt the Masses, Hudson Hill at Lefty’s at 5 p.m.
- Jazz Wednesdays featuring Scott Johnson at Pura Social Club at 6 p.m.
- Patresa Hartman at Stuffed Olive in Historic Court District at 6 p.m.
- NOLA JAZZ Trio at Louie’s Wine Dive on the Patio at 6 p.m.
- Jake Schrodt at The Republic on Grand in the Historic East Village at 6 p.m.
- Josh Sinclair at Gilroy’s Kitchen + Pub + Patio in West Des Moines at 6 p.m.
- Damon Dotson at Mickey’s Irish Pub on the Patio in Waukee at 6 p.m.
- Pat Bump from the Gilded Palace of Sin at 7 p.m. – Local Streaming
- Bad Camper (Bay Area) at xBk Live at 7 p.m.; $10-14
- Richard Arndt at Acoustic Patio Series at Hawk Heaven Tavern in Altoona at 7 p.m.
- Triple J’s at Greenwood Lounge at 8 p.m.
Thursday, May 19
“Freight Train” Frank at La Mie Restaurant in the Skywalk at 11 a.m.
- Avey Grouws Duo at Blues Under The Blue Roof at Newton Public Library at 5 p.m.
- Brother Trucker at Jasper Winery at 6 p.m.
- Dick Danger Band at Music in The Junction in West Des Moines at 6 p.m.
- The Brick Room All Stars at The Brick Room in Grimes at 6 p.m.; $10 BYOB/Wine/Snacks
- The Dave Bohl Quartet at Noce in Western Gateway at 7 p.m.
- Dustin Smith at Confluence Brewery at 7 p.m.
- Open Jam with Groove Review at Kenny’s Garage in Waukee at 7 p.m.
- Mason Jennings at Wooly’s in the Historic East Village at 8 p.m.; $15
- B*tch with Katie Cash, Coral Thede at xBk Live at 8 p.m.; $15-18
- Dizzy Wright at Lefty’s at 8 p.m.; $20
- Dressy Bessy, The Vahnevants, Luke Bascom at Gas Lamp at 8 p.m.; $15
- The Soul Searchers at Greenwood Lounge at 8 p.m.
- CW Smith: Live From Silicon Alley at 8 p.m. - Local Streaming
- BitterSweet nation at Senor Tequila at 9 p.m.
Friday, May 20
Joshua Sinclair at Middlebrook Farm in Cumming at 4:30 p.m.
- Bob Pace & The Dangerous Band at Gas Lamp at 5 p.m.; $5
- The Snacks at Truman’s Pizza Tavern on the patio at 5 p.m.
- Damon Dotson at Food Truck Friday at Campbell Park in Clive at 5:30 p.m.
- The Soul Searchers at Captain Roy’s at 6 p.m.
- Birdie Pie at Confluence Brewery at 6 p.m.
- Tommy Doggett/Seth Hedquist Duo at The Cave DSM at 6 p.m.
- Chris & Micah of Decoy at 300 Craft & Rooftop at 6 p.m.
- Bruce Day at Fleetwood Restaurant & Bar at Saylorville in Polk City at 6 p.m.
- Washer City Agitators at The Thunderdome in Newton at 6 p.m.
- Homeward Bound at Iowa Distilling Company in Cumming at 6 p.m.
- Jordan Beem at The Hall in West Des Moines at 6:30 p.m.
- Chayce Beckham at Wooly’s in the Historic East Village at 7 p.m.; $20-25
- Nick Sinclair at Court Avenue Restaurant & Brewing Company at 7 p.m.
- Toni Williams at Surety Hotel at 7 p.m.
- The Mondeau Dukes at Reclaimed Rails Brewing in Bondurant at 7 p.m.
- Jake Schrodt at Uptown Garage Brewing in Ankeny at 7 p.m.
- Storyhill with Chad Elliott at Viking Theatre at Grand View University at 7:30 p.m.; $20
- Iowa Singer Songwriter Night with Dickie and string quartet, Adam Bruce, Abigail Phelps at xBk Live at 8 p.m.; $10-13
- Kracklin at Sons Chicken Coop in West Des Moines at 8 p.m.
- Sons of Gladys Kravitz at Doc’s Lounge in Johnston at 8 p.m.
- Sister Sara at Kenny’s Garage in Waukee at 8 p.m.
- The Comancheros at Miss Kittys Country Bar Dance Nightclub and Honky Tonk in Clive at 8 p.m.
- Nick Hermann Entertainment at Mistress Brewing in Ankeny at 8 p.m.
- JandroBands with D’Or Mac, XCo$moX, CC Baby, Dlo Tha Don, MG Moeski, Doozy at Spice Talk Festival at Lefty’s at 8:45 p.m.; $8
- The Mighty Rapscallions at Greenwood Lounge at 9 p.m.
- Johnny Novacaine at Yacht Club at 9 p.m.
- Bad Friends at Down Under in Clive at 9 p.m.
- Nothing Special at Good Times in Ankeny at 9 p.m.
- Fahrenheit at Whiskey House in Ankeny at 9 p.m.
- Cat Piss, Haploid, Gleaner at Gas Lamp at 9:30 p.m.; $10
Saturday, May 21
Tom Hofer, SPAM at the Downtown Farmers Market from 7 a.m. – Noon
- Tyler Frazier at Annie’s Irish Pub at 10 a.m.
- Sumpin Doo at Hawkeye Elks Lodge 160 at 4 p.m.; $5
- Fancy Pants at Pal Joey’s at 5:30 p.m.
- Randy Burk and The Prisoners at Captain Roy’s at 6 p.m.
- Hudson Road at Firetrucker Brewery in Ankeny at 6 p.m.
- Matt Woods at Fenders Brewing in Polk City at 6 p.m.
- Gimikk at Fleetwood at Fleetwood Restaurant and Bar in Polk City at 6 p.m.
- Danny Grause at Covered Bridges Winery in Winterset at 6:30 p.m.; $5
- A Night of Resilience with Genevieve Salamone (paired with stunning music video visuals from the Vine Productions, performers for this musical event include the Dueling Fiddles, aerialist Felicia Coe, Traditional Indigenous Dancer Josée Gros-Louis, singer/songwriter Sara Routh, pianist Sarah Vanderpool, Indigenous Drummer Ralph Moisa Jr. and from Montréal, singer Eric Biard-Goble) at xBk Live at 7 p.m.; $20
- Coyote at Croatian Slavic Center at 7 p.m.; $5 Members, $7 Nonmembers
- Tyler Frazier at The Hall in West Des Moines at 7 p.m.
- Jason Brown at Reclaimed Rails Brewing in Bondurant at 7 p.m.
- Close Enough at Lake Robbins Ballroom in Woodward at 7 p.m. $10
- The Beaker Brothers at Grinnel Elks B P O Lodge at 7 p.m.; Donations for Happy Tales Ranch & Rescue for Cats
- Colleen Green with Karen Meat, Greg Wheeler & The Polygamist Mall Cops at Gas Lamp at 8 p.m.; $15
- PJ & Libby Dueling at Pura Social Club at 8 p.m.
- Tom’s Top 8: Live Emo Night at 300 Craft & Rooftop at 8 p.m.
- Shock Collar at Kenny’s Garage in Waukee at 8 p.m.
- Craig Swalwell at Whiskey House in Ankeny at 8 p.m.
- Maiden Minneapolis: Iron Maiden Tribute at Wooly’s in the Historic East Village at 8:30 p.m.; $10-12
- The Crust at Mickey’s Irish Pub in Waukee at 8:30 p.m.
- The BASSberry Jam at Lefty’s at 9 p.m.; $10
- Heath Alan Band at Greenwood Lounge at 9 p.m.
- BitterSweet Nation at Zoras at 9 p.m.
- Dick Danger Band at Down Under in Clive at 9 p.m.
- Analog Addiction at Misfits at 9 p.m.
- Mike Moody & The Outlaws at Hawk Heaven Tavern in Altoona at 9 p.m.
- Savage Freds at Good Times in Ankeny at 9 p.m.
- Last Call with Max Wellman at Noce in Western Gateway at 9:30 p.m.
Sunday, May 22
Malcolm Wells and The Two Timers at Summerset Winery in Indianola at 2 p.m.
- Boomerang at Snus Hill Winery in Madrid at 2 p.m.
- Joshua Sinclair at Wellman’s West patio in West Des Moines at 4 p.m.
- Nick Rueckert/Aaron Ehrlich Duo at Louie’s Wine Dive at 5 p.m.
- Al Godfredsen - Big Band at Lake Robbins Ballroom in Woodward at 5 p.m.; $13
- GOATWHORE with 3 Finger Betty, Gravis Somnia, TBA at Lefty’s at 6:30 p.m.; $20
- Lanco at Wooly’s in the Historic East Village at 7 p.m.; $30
- Tomberlin with Jana Horn at xBk Live at 8 p.m.; $16-18
Check for changes at each venue’s website, including cancellations and COVID protocols, and consider your generosity to your local waitstaff and musicians as we continue to welcome back live events in DSM. You can also support local restaurants by visiting nearby businesses before and after the show! Check out the Greater Des Moines Partnership’s Restaurant Guide, featuring neighborhood options here.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership calendar of events is a one-stop resource for activities taking place throughout the region. Find networking information for Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses or events specific to Downtown DSM.
Jerrica Marshall is the downtown placemaking manager at the Greater Des Moines Partnership.