Plan Your Vacation as a Staycation in Downtown Des Moines
This summer, make your vacation a staycation and stay in Downtown Des Moines (DSM). These weekend itineraries are for a 48-hour getaway without the hassle of travel or long-distance driving.
Hotel Pick: The Surety
Downtown DSM can be romantic, adventurous, relaxing or all of the above — whatever you need for a weekend getaway with your special someone.
Hotel Pick: The AC Hotel by Marriott
Your bestie reunion is a great chance to impress your crew with the coolest places around Downtown DSM. You’ll be the hero of the weekend with these places in mind:
Hotel Pick: The Residence Inn by Marriott
It’s not to late to squeeze in a summer vacation! These Downtown Des Moines hotspots are perfect for your family-friendly adventure.
- Start the weekend right with an Iowa Cubs game, where every Friday night home game ends with fireworks!
- Saturday morning, treat your family to a special vacation breakfast: Cinnaholic cinnamon rolls or ChuChu Donuts.
- Families also love the Downtown Farmers’ Market, which is conveniently located steps from the Residence Inn. Pick up some snacks or treats, take in music and just enjoy the sights and sounds of The Market together.
- Spend the afternoon launching paper rockets, racing Lego cars, learning about space and seeing Iowa’s native creatures first-hand at the Science Center of Iowa.
- Kids will love dinner at a family-friendly restaurant like Spaghetti Works, Zombie Burger or Buzzard Billy’s.
- Sunday morning, swing by Lauridsen Skatepark. Either pack your skateboards or scooters to get in on the action or sit on the sidelines as a spectator — both equally fun for kids and parents, too!
- Be sure to snag a souvenir at Raygun, and a snack for the road from Almost Famous Popcorn Company or Molly’s Cupcakes.
(P.S. – We have even more family-friendly adventure ideas for you! Learn more.)
Hotel Pick: Des Lux
Spending a weekend flying solo can be incredibly invigorating and refreshing. Here’s a fun way to spend your much-needed alone time in Downtown DSM.
- Friday night means Downtown DSM is all lit up and looking lovely! Snag a photo from an iconic Downtown DSM viewpoint and post it on your favorite social media account. (Bonus: Use hashtag #downtownDSM when you post!)
- Saturday morning, explore something off the beaten path or try something outside of your comfort zone: Wander through the American Dream Machines display room, try bouldering at Climb Iowa, take an art class at Mainframe Studios or a plant workshop at Art Terrarium.
- Then spend an hour or two shopping! A few favorite stores include Reclaimed DSM, AllSpice Culinarium, Kitchen Collage, Fontenelle Supply Co. and Aimee.
- Treat yo’self to dinner at an upscale restaurant, such as 801 Chophouse, Lucca, Tupelo Honey, Splash Seafood Bar and Grill or Proudfoot & Bird.
- Sunday morning, wrap up your weekend with rejuvenation by participating in Yoga at Cowles Commons.
To fully enjoy your staycation in Downtown Des Moines, find additional information on hotels and places to stay, restaurants and nightlife, shops, festivals, attractions and more.
Attractions , Downtown , Downtown Farmers' Market , Festivals and Markets , Gray's Lake , Historic Court Avenue , Historic East Village , Market District , Outdoor Recreation and Trails , Restaurants and Nightlife , Sherman Hill , Shopping , Sports , Things To Do , Western Gateway Park