Activate Showcases Community Leadership Program 2018 Class Experience
DES MOINES, IA — The Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute announces Activate, an event designed for the Community Leadership Program Class of 2018 to share with the community their personal and team journeys. They will showcase the efforts and accomplishments of their class projects, share how they've grown as community leaders, and set in motion their next steps as civic stewards.
Leaders learn best when they are engaged. The class members spent the last nine months learning about community issues and opportunities in Greater Des Moines, understanding the practices of exemplary leaders, and putting the curriculum into practice by working with nonprofit project partners to respond to real-world challenges.
The class projects engaged individuals and teams at the intellectual, emotional, and behavioral level — stimulating development that was targeted, learner-centered, and enduring. The result was broadening the skillset of program participants and them presenting a solution to each non-profit partner’s challenge. Class projects included:
- Blank Park Zoo – Further develop the Zoo’s inclusivity program for visitors with disabilities.
- DART/USCRI – Improve public transit communication resources to facilitate ease of use for refugees and immigrants.
- Food Bank of Iowa – Develop an assessment tool to identify and expand partner sites, enabling more locations to provide healthy meals.
- Genesis, Inc. – Market and refine branding to support programs that empower underserved youth and immigrant families.
- Please Pass the Love – Define strategic plan and develop marketing materials to advance their mental health program in Iowa schools.
Activate will take place on Tuesday, May 15, at the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. The media, Institute alumni, community leaders, project stakeholders, and interested community members are invited to experience one-on-one discussions and team presentations with the Class of 2018 and their project partners. This event is free and open to the public, though registrations are appreciated at gdmli.com. Connect with these community leaders and let them inspire you!
About the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
The Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute is a premier leadership organization, guiding leaders to greater public awareness, commitment and involvement - improving the overall quality of life in our community. In three decades, more than 2,000 leaders have participated in Institute programs, gaining a greater understanding of our community and opportunities for civic improvement. Please visit gdmli.com for more information.