Community Leadership Program Class of 2017 Selects Civic Engagement Projects
Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute Community Leadership Program participants selected five non-profit organizations to partner with for their annual civic engagement projects. Class members reviewed twenty-six proposals and selected the following five project partners based on project scope, individual interest, learning opportunities, and the potential to meet organizational and community needs:
- AMOS (A Mid-Iowa Organizing Strategy) — Develop plan for expanding and sustaining the “Let’s Talk” restorative justice and minority outreach program to additional schools in Greater Des Moines (DSM).
- On with Life — Conceptualize plan and develop a fundraising strategy for an outdoor music Zen garden to be used for rehabilitation of patients with traumatic brain injuries.
- Pinky Swear — Create strategy for increasing awareness of the organization’s programming for kids and its mission of supporting families of children with cancer.
- Art Route — Research and develop plan for route expansion, awareness, and long-term sustainability of a trail that connects the public to art in DSM.
- DMARC (Des Moines Area Religious Council) — Research and plan for creating a legacy garden to engage donors, welcome the community, and share DMARC’s mission.
Each civic engagement project provides a lab for learning how to lead change as well as how to make a meaningful impact on a local non-profit. “The goal of the Community Leadership Program is to develop more informed, prepared, and invested leaders. The five selected organizations presented compelling proposals for projects that will provide tremendous opportunities for learning, engagement, and impact,” said Amy Jennings, executive director of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute.
Project teams, made up of 10 class members, will work with each project partner to research, plan, scope, and execute the projects. Each team may apply for up to $7,000 from the Leadership Institute to use toward their projects and teams may acquire unlimited in-kind donations. The projects will be completed by class graduation on May 18, 2017.
Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
The Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute is a premier leadership organization, guiding leaders to greater public awareness, commitment and involvement - improving the overall quality of life in our community. In three decades, more than 2,000 leaders have participated in Institute programs, gaining a greater understanding of our community and opportunities for civic improvement. Please visit Gdmli.com for more information.