Struggling Businesses Have Opportunities in the FFCRA and CARES Act
Over the last few weeks, Davis Brown Law Firm attorneys have been hard at work answering your questions and guiding Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses through difficult times as they make hard choices about how to sustain their business through this crisis. Two pieces of federal legislation are designed to provide assistance.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (H.R. 6201) recently took effect. It includes multiple provisions relating to items such as family food aid, PPE and other matters. Of immediate interest for employers are the extended FMLA and paid leave requirements set forth in the statute.
Although provisions do obligate businesses to offer new paid time to employees suffering from the effects of the pandemic, some tax benefits will make it easier for employers to comply.
- Families First Coronavirus Bill Overview | 3/19/20
- Employer Tax Implications of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act | 3/24/20
- Three Pressing FFCRA Questions and Answers | 3/30/20
Required Poster — DOL Issues Guidance for COVID-19 Leave Policies
Sample Policy — Employer Paid Leave Policy for Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Coronavirus Aid, Relief + Economic Security Act (CARES Act)
In the hundreds of conversations with employers Davis Brown has advised since the pandemic started, one thing is undeniable — Iowa employers care about their employees and their economic security. We are repeatedly asked to find the best outcome for workers as businesses face unprecedented challenges.
Congress has provided an avenue to support workers with the new CARES Act (S. 3548) offering loans to businesses, new unemployment benefits for workers and tax relief, among other benefits.
- Historic CARES Act Signed into Law Creating New Unemployment Program | 3/30/20
- Notable CARES Act Provisions for Healthcare Providers | 3/30/20
- Employee Benefits — Health and Retirement Plans | 3/30/20
- Paycheck Protection Program | 4/1/20
- Tax Relief for Businesses | 4/1/20
- Tax Relief for Individuals | 4/1/20
- Assistance for Businesses, States, and Municipalities | 4/2/20
- Banking Industry | 4/2/20
Other Coronavirus/COVID-19 Legal Resources
Davis Brown updates the COVID-19 legal resources page on a daily basis to provide interpretations of new guidance from administrative bodies and new laws. If you have a question about how your business can adapt, contact your legal counsel.
You can count on The Partnership to continue to share accurate and fact-based updates as well. See more on COVID-19 here.
Find these tips useful? Find more business tools and information by visiting the Business Resources page.