Create Ideas with TEDxDesMoines
In less than a week, TEDxDesMoines will welcome speakers to the historic Franklin Junior High, 4801 Franklin Avenue in Des Moines, to share creative ideas with the Greater Des Moines (DSM) community. This year’s event — titled Through a Different Lens — will also offer a livestream for those who can’t or don’t wish to attend the event in person. TEDxDesMoines talks will touch on learning from and understanding each other’s differences, including an emphasis on closing the gaps, coming together, facing adversity and overcoming hardships. We all have the potential to dig in and do the work of seeing each other in new ways, and TEDxDesMoines brings stories to the region that will spur growth and enhance DSM in the best possible ways.
The TEDxDesMoines lineup will include speakers from across DSM with ideas on how to build upon our differences and see things Through a Different Lens. Each speaker will give a 10- to 12-minute talk, the short time will help to maximize the impact left on event attendees. Topics in 2021 include some of the following: understanding human behavior, human potential, the racial wealth gap, resilience and more. Speakers will include:
- Abena Imhotep, community builder and writer
- Justyn Lewis, civil rights advocate and instructor
- Diana Kautzky, deaf accessibility technologist and ASL interpreter
- Efram Jackson, financial literacy advocate and licensed advisor
- Sara Maniscalco Robinson, military veterans historian and soldier
- Jann Freed, Ph.D., improvement instructor and professor
- Julie Larson, LCSW, psychotherapist and life transitions expert
- Lee Towe, collaboration trainer and author
- Scott Bruxvoort, patient educator and outreach builder
- Becky Naderman, justice advocate and author
- Jack Clarke, adversity overcomer and inspirational speaker
- Triniti Krauss, champion debater and college student
- Seth Watkins, conservationist and farmer
Don’t miss TEDxDesMoines 2021! The day begins at 7 a.m. and continues until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 11. You can purchase virtual or in-person tickets here. Each ticket is $100, whether it is for the in-person or virtual experience.
Find out more information on TEDxDesMoines at tedxdesmoines.org.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership calendar of events is a one-stop resource for activities taking place throughout the region. Find networking information for Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses or events specific to Downtown DSM.