Connecting People with Job Opportunities + Educational Services Through the Evelyn K. Davis Center in DSM
Des Moines Area Community College’s (DMACC’s) Evelyn K. Davis Center for Working Families is keeping busy this fall creating opportunities through employment support programming and events. Here are the latest offerings to help connect and improve individuals’ employability and assist in connecting people with positions at Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses and organizations.
Schedule a time to meet with an Evelyn K. Davis Center Career Coach at evelynkdaviscenter.org/appointments.
There are numerous job openings for DSM organizations, as well as other opportunities to be aware of through the Evelyn K. Davis Center. Career coaches are also available including at the following locations: Evelyn K. Davis Center, 1171 7th St., Des Moines, from 8 – 4 p.m. M-F; Southside Library, 1111 Porter Ave., Des Moines, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wednesdays; Northside Library, 3516 5th Ave., Des Moines, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Wednesdays.
SNAP Employment & Training Program
The Evelyn K. Davis Center is now a provider for the SNAP Employment & Training (E&T) Program. If you are receiving SNAP Benefits you may be eligible to participate in the E&T program. This means that I am able to assist you with developing a resume, preparing for interviews and applying for jobs. Additionally, a benefit of the E&T program is that I would also be able to assist with some transportation costs, uniform, tools, etc. If you are interested in the “training” portion of the program, I can refer you to the Workforce Training Academy where you can learn about courses that you can take at no cost which will make you more marketable for your job search. Schedule an appointment with me or give me a call.
Upcoming Events + Additional Opportunities
On-Site (1171 7th St., Des Moines) Hiring Events from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Upcoming IowaWorks Events (200 Army Post Road, Des Moines)
Other Employment Opportunities/Job Fairs
- United States Postal Service Hiring Opportunity on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at 1165 2nd Ave. in Des Moines.
- Prevent Child Abuse Iowa is looking for a Program Manager! Apply or view the job description.
- Des Moines Water Works is hiring for:
- IUEC Local 33 Elevator Constructor Apprenticeship Opportunities
- MercyOne is hiring for the following positions
- Housekeeping (Environmental Service Associate)
- Food Service Associate
- Resident Counselor
- Lab Assistant
- Wells Fargo is hiring a Senior Fraud & Claims Ops Representative (Call center position that gathers information from credit card holders who are not happy with a product they purchased. This position would mediate between customer and merchant.) Requirements: Good phone experience, skilled with Microsoft Excel and Outlook. Job begins Monday, April 1, 2024 at Jordan Creek Campus in West Des Moines. Pay is $19.50/hour. Apply at wellsfargojobs.com. Search for R-337287.
- Healthworks is recruiting prospective students for Pharmacy Technician. They are looking for students to support in Pharmacy Technician and who can enroll immediately. The MedCerts, Pharmacy Technician is an 25-week online course that includes simulation learning hands-on kit. Students are able to rent a laptop from MedCerts. Pharmacy technicians typically make $17-20 per hour.
- A+ Lawn & Landscape is looking for candidates to apply for spray or irrigation positions. Requirements: Valid driver's license. Pay is $17/hour with benefits after 60 days. Contact Angie at (515) 289-2020 or 6084 22nd St. in Des Moines.
- The Iowa Center is hiring an Operations Assistant.
- Iowa Food System Coalition is hiring for an Executive Director. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Jodie Huergerich, Steering Committee Chair no later than Thursday, Feb 29, 2024.
- The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden is hiring.
- State of Iowa is hiring.
- United Way of Central Iowa is hiring.
- Goodwill is hiring for multiple positions.
- Primary Health Care is hiring.
- Healthy Birthday Inc. is hiring for an Administrative Assistant.
- YMCA of Greater Des Moines is hiring for multiple positions.
- Young Women's Resource Center is hiring.
- CDL Jumpstart is a preparation program for English Language Learners interested in obtaining their Commercial Driver License (CDL). The course is intended for individuals with high intermediate to advanced English language skills and is provided at NO COST to students who participate. Interested students can complete this online registration form, or call (515) 248-7231.
The Evelyn K. Davis Center helps central Iowans build their educational & job dreams by offering career & financial coaching, small business solutions, Men on the Move Clothing Closet and Opportunity Passport. Use the following link to schedule time to meet with an Evelyn K. Davis Center Employee. Learn more at evelynkdaviscenter.org.
Job opportunities and career resources are abundant in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Whether you're looking to find an internship, a job, develop professionally or grow as a student, we have the resources to help you thrive.