Indoor Events in Downtown Des Moines are Heating Up as the Weather Cools Down
As the weather turns cooler, things are heating up at Downtown Des Moines’ (DSM’s) attractions and event spaces. This fall, look to these indoor venues for epic live theater, music, entertainment, recreation, sports action and hands-on classes, too!
Art Terrarium: Fall is the ideal time to perfect your indoor green thumb. Throughout October, Art Terrarium is offering a Plant Camp workshop teaching you all about houseplants.
- Central Library: The Library offers tons of programming for all ages and stages: writers’ workshops, toddler stories and songs, 3D printing basics, crafting sessions … the possibilities are (nearly) endless.
- Cooking with Alessandra: Hailing from Italy, Chef Alessandra will walk you step-by-step through how to cook delectable dishes. This is a great outing for a group of friends or a romantic date night for a couple.
- Kitchen Collage: Check out live chef demonstrations and taste-test the final product! October’s menu items are beef bourguignon, frosted sugar cookies, dinner rolls and chicken pozole verde with homemade tortillas.
- Mainframe Studios: There are so many art classes to choose from, and each one is tailored to adults or children based on age. This is a great space for indoor creativity!
- Science Center of Iowa: Storytime under the stars, feeding snapping turtles, watching WHO-HD Channel 13’s Live Weather Forecast and more! There’s always something special happening at SCI.
Music + Entertainment
Des Moines Performing Arts: Fall is for the stage! A few of the shows happening in October include Beetlejuice, Fiddler on the Roof and The Crown Live! Also, check out the Music of Queen by the Des Moines Symphony and Ballet Des Moines’ performance of SALEM.
- Noce Des Moines: Catch a live jazz performance in Downtown DSM, with evening shows happening Wednesday through Saturday each week.
- TeeHee’s Comedy Club: If comedy is your thing, this is your place! Stand-up, open mic night, improv, live tapings — it’s all here.
Nature, Recreation + Sports
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden: Although the weather outside is getting cooler, the tropical conservatory at the Botanical Garden stays nice and warm! This month, find your physical outlet here with weekly Pilates and Plants events, in addition to many other happenings to choose from.
- Wellmark YMCA: Lap swim, Zumba and pickleball — oh my! The Wellmark YMCA in Downtown DSM is abuzz with indoor events this fall. Not a member? No problem! Community members can purchase a visitor day pass on-location.
- Wells Fargo Arena: The Iowa Wild return to hockey action this October, followed by Iowa Wolves arena basketball kicking off in November. A robust concert and entertainment schedule is also available for the Iowa Events Center here.
Make it one epic autumn in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) by exploring, experiencing and enjoying what Downtown DSM has to offer. Plan your visit to Downtown DSM with these tips for parking and navigation and discover additional restaurants and nightlife, too!
Greater Des Moines Partnership
DSM USA is the regional identifier for Greater Des Moines (DSM). DSM USA is a bold statement to the world: This is a welcoming, diverse and vibrant community with affordable and accessible amenities for residents and businesses. This regional identifier is the result of significant quantitative and qualitative research.
The Partnership will champion the DSM USA message, and encourages its Investors, its more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and DSM USA Ambassadors to help share the region's story with One Voice.
Attractions , Downtown , Gray's Lake , Historic Court Avenue , Historic East Village , Market District , Music and Entertainment , Outdoor Recreation and Trails , Shopping , Sports , Things To Do , Western Gateway Park