The Winter Games at Brenton Skating Plaza in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) is an exciting celebration of sports and outdoor recreation as we cheer on Team USA at the 2018 Winter Games. Featuring an Opening Ceremonies Watch Party, a spectacular fireworks show, a winter sports playground, demonstrations, contests, food trucks, hot drinks and cool fun, the Winter Games is an opportunity to support Team USA in our own backyard in the Historic East Village! The Winter Games event is produced by the Greater Des Moines Partnership.
- Friday, Feb. 9 | 5 – 11 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 10 | Noon - 5 p.m
The event is FREE to enjoy! Regular ice skating admission and skate rental fees apply at Brenton Skating Plaza.
Subject to change.
Friday, Feb. 9 — Sponsored by EMC Insurance Companies
- 5 p.m. — Live music begins! Enjoy the band, grab a bite to eat from a food truck, get a warm or cold beverage or lace up some skates and hit the ice.
- 5:30 p.m. — Watch a professional ice carver sculpt an ice block in a fascinating ice carving demonstration.
- 6 p.m. — The Des Moines Curling Club will be onsite to showcase their equipment and teach guests how to play.
- 7 p.m. — Enjoy a live performance of the National Anthem with a dazzling fireworks show. Former Olympian Jean Racine Prahm, who competed in the 2002 and 2006 Olympic Games, will be onsite to greet guests and showcase bobsledding equipment.
- 7:30 p.m. — Watch the lighting of the torch at the Winter Games Opening Ceremonies on our big screen and help us cheer on Team USA! Prizes will be given to the adults in the most patriotic attire. Glow Skate will begin on the ice and all skaters will receive free glow sticks.
Saturday, Feb. 10
- Noon — A Winter Sports Playground opens for guests to explore an array of winter sports equipment. Local mascots will be there to meet kids and families. Kids in patriotic costumes could win a prize!
- 1:30 p.m. — Watch a professional ice carver sculpt an ice block in a fascinating ice carving demonstration.
- 2 p.m. — Professional figure skaters will grace the ice to glide, spin and leap. Meet them after their demonstration.
- 3 p.m. — The Des Moines Curling Club will be onsite to showcase their equipment and teach guests how to play.
- 4 p.m. — Learn all about the sport of Broomball and watch the players in action!
- 5 p.m. — The event activities close, but ice skating remains open until 11 p.m.
Thank You to the 2018 Winter Games Sponsors: