Volunteer at The Market
Each year, the Downtown Farmers’ Market counts on the help of volunteers to sustain the development of The Market. From directing patrons at the Information Booth to taking care of the behind-the-scenes heavy lifting, hundreds of Iowans eagerly take on the challenge to assist their favorite event of the summer.
Want to volunteer to help grow The Market? Sign up here:
If you have questions about volunteering at The Market please contact Lydia Zerby.
Meals From The Market
Meals From The Market offers vendors and patrons an opportunity to give back to the community by providing fresh food to the homeless and hungry in Greater Des Moines (DSM).
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Raising awareness about Meals From The Market
- Inviting vendors to donate any unsold produce
- Collecting and loading donated produce
Fill out the online form to sign up as a volunteer.
The program is a collaborative effort between Great Western Bank, Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) and The Market.
How old do volunteers need to be?
Volunteers need to be 16 years of age or older.
What tasks can volunteers help with?
Volunteers should be able to stand, walk and pull a wagon that weighs about 30 pounds. Volunteers can help with a variety of tasks, including:
- Set up Information Booth and sponsor tents, tables, etc.
- Prepare for The Market to start at 7 a.m.
- Ring opening cow bells.
- Complete vendor attendance sheets.
- Provide information to customers, vendor relations and other miscellaneous tasks.
- Help tear down information and sponsor booths and load supplies into The Market truck.
- Help with Meals From The Market by pulling a wagon throughout The Market to collect food donations from vendors.
Do volunteers receive anything for their time?
All volunteers receive a free Market t-shirt.
Why do people volunteer?
People offer their time for several reasons:
- They want to get involved behind the scenes.
- Earn volunteer hours for silver cord and other programs with requirements.
- Use VTO time for work.
- Team building with work, church and other groups
- Interact with the public, customer service and helping others.
- Resume builder