Volunteer at The Market
Each year, the Downtown Farmers’ Market counts on the help of volunteers to sustain the development of The Market.
Those interested in volunteering at the Downtown Farmers’ Market can sign up for a shift here.
Support your Market team but helping with the set-up, tear down and running of The Market.
Sign up to volunteer
Meals From The Market (May – October Only)
Meals From The Market offers vendors and patrons an opportunity to give back to the community by providing fresh food to the homeless and hungry in Greater Des Moines (DSM).
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Raising awareness about Meals From The Market
- Inviting vendors to donate any unsold produce
- Collecting and loading donated produce
The program is a collaborative effort between First Interstate Bank, Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) and The Market.
Sign Up to Volunteer
How do I sign up to volunteer at The Market?
New this year, those interested in volunteering at the Downtown Farmers’ Market can learn more about opportunities and how to sign up here.
How old do volunteers need to be?
Volunteers need to be 16 years of age or older.
What tasks can volunteers help with?
Volunteers should be able to stand, walk and pull a wagon that weighs about 30 pounds. Volunteers can help with a variety of tasks, including:
- Help with Meals From The Market by pulling a wagon throughout The Market to collect food donations from vendors.
- Help load donations into Meals From The Market truck.
Do volunteers receive anything for their time?
All volunteers receive a free Market t-shirt.
Why do people volunteer?
People offer their time for several reasons:
- They want to get involved behind the scenes.
- Earn volunteer hours for silver cord and other programs with requirements.
- Use VTO time for work.
- Team building with work, church and other groups
- Interact with the public, customer service and helping others.
- Resume builder