'Non-Recipe' Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Broiled Green Beans
Green beans are now in season at the Downtown Farmers’ Market. Give them a bit of Asian flair by making Sweet and Spicy Broiled Green Beans. Buy a pound of green beans from Haasevorts Farm and some garlic from Choua’s Home Grown Vegetables at The Market and use some pantry staples to make the sauce.
For the sauce you’ll need sesame oil, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. These have a bit of spice to them but if you want to make them kid friendly leave out the chili garlic sauce — they are delicious either way.
Wash and snap the green beans and set aside. Prepare the sauce by whisking together one tablespoon of minced garlic, three tablespoons sesame oil, 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, two tablespoons soy sauce and one tablespoon chili garlic sauce. Add the green beans and stir until all the beans are covered with sauce.
Line a cookie sheet with foil and set the oven to broil. Pour the beans and sauce onto the cookie sheet and broil for five minutes. The beans will get some black blisters on them and stay crispy. If you prefer a less crisp green bean, blanch them before adding them to the sauce.
Dish: Sweet and Spicy Broiled Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans from Haasevorts Farm
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic from Choua’s Home Grown Vegetables
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp, soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili garlic sauce
- Wash and snap the green beans. Set aside.
- Whisk together all the other ingredients. Add beans to the sauce and stir until they are all coated.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and set the oven to broil. Pour the beans and sauce onto the cookie sheet. Broil for five minutes.
- The beans will get some black blisters on them and will stay crispy.
“Non-Recipe” Recipes offer quick and delicious ideas using produce available at the Downtown Farmers’ Market. From May to October, The Market features nearly 300 family farmers, bakers, artists and crafters from around the state. It’s easy to visit with plentiful and affordable street and ramp parking options.
Downtown Farmers' Market Team
From May to October, find your handful of happiness at the Downtown Farmers' Market featuring nearly 300 family farmers, bakers, artists and crafters from around the state.