Downtown Farmers' Market: Oct. 20
Date: Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: Historic Court District
Featuring nearly 300 vendors from 50 Iowa counties, the Downtown Farmers’ Market in Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) offers scores of tasty treats each summer on Saturdays. Visitors can enjoy locally grown produce, farm fresh eggs, baked goods and Iowa-raised meat, including beef, pork, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb and tilapia! The adventure doesn’t stop there either. Guests can enjoy local artists, live music and entertainment, ready-to-eat foods, special programming and learning opportunities all in the course of a Saturday morning. Whether it’s seasonal flowers, locally produced wine or a new culinary adventure, there’s always something to experience at the Downtown Farmers’ Market.
This event is free and open to the public.
UnityPoint Health – DSM Programming
Staff and volunteers from UnityPoint at Home will be on-site discussing the wide range of in-home services they provide, including medical equipment, nursing care, hospice and much more!
Search for your favorite Market vendors and discover new ones in the complete vendor list
Enjoy live music from local performers while you shop. This week, hear these performers:
- Beaver Creek Jazz Ensemble: Beaver Creek Jazz Ensemble is a group of volunteer musicians who play a mix of big band, swing, light jazz dance music and a few rock and roll numbers. The group consists of a director, five saxophones, two trombones, three trumpets, electric guitar, electric bass guitar, electric piano and drums.
- Bethany Joy Johnson: Bethany has been singing her whole life and began playing guitar at the age of 11. Bethany writes her own lyrics rather than singing other people's songs. Bethany is classically trained and has worked with a vocal performance professor at Drake University.
- David Watson: David Watson is a solo acoustic performer covering bands from Johnny Cash to Journey.
- Heartland Mini-Railroad Express: Kids are invited to come take a ride on the Mini Railroad! Located on 2nd Street, South of Court Ave. the Heartland Mini Railroad provides young visitors a fun and unique experience while shopping The Market.
- Jonathan May − Mr. Magic Productions: Family and corporate magician Jonathan May specializes in making fun and fast balloon animals for the children of the Downtown Farmers' Market. He is known for his minimum wait time and maximum entertainment value!
- Reid Miller Folk Music, Storytelling & Puppetry: Reid Miller Storytelling Puppet Theater is folk and family entertainment. His puppet shows are based on classic folktales and original fiction taken from the events of the day. Songs range from folk to blues to ballads to bodacious comedy with appeal for all generations.
- Ryan O'Rien: Ryan O'Rien draws inspiration from roots in Irish and English heritage, along with a deep appreciation of the open ocean and common human rights and freedoms. From that inspiration, he translates traditional Celtic tunes, old Atlantic sea songs and original content inspired by modern news headlines into highly rhythmic, catchy folk n’roll.
- WiZe Guys: WiZe Guys play jazz and popular songs. With piano-playing, crooning and the occasional accoustic guitar, WiZe Guys is bound to soothe a crowd.
Stop by the Community Corner on Third Street, south of Court Avenue, to find out what is happening in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Local charitable organizations — welcomed as Saturday Salutes at The Market — promote learning opportunities, Downtown events and community resources each Saturday. This week, check out the Saturday Salutes:
- Drake University Athletics: Drake University Athletics will be visiting The Market to promote upcoming athletic seasons, distribute ticket vouchers and to take photos with fans.
- Des Moines University: Des Moines University wants to encourage people of all ages to think about what they are eating. At The Market, there will be medical students and licensed physicians sharing information about ways to eat healthy using ingredients they can buy right at The Market.
Market Extras and Special Programming
Enjoy unique programming from Market sponsors during your visit. Learn more about all the Market programming, including special Market deals happening every week. This week, check out this special programming: