Downtown Farmers' Market: July 21
Date: Saturday, Jul. 21, 2018 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: Historic Court District
Featuring nearly 300 vendors from 50 Iowa counties, the Downtown Farmers’ Market in Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) offers scores of tasty treats each summer on Saturdays. Visitors can enjoy locally grown produce, farm fresh eggs, baked goods and Iowa-raised meat, including beef, pork, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb and tilapia! The adventure doesn’t stop there either. Guests can enjoy local artists, live music and entertainment, ready-to-eat foods, special programming and learning opportunities all in the course of a Saturday morning. Whether it’s seasonal flowers, locally produced wine or a new culinary adventure, there’s always something to experience at the Downtown Farmers’ Market.
This event is free and open to the public.
UnityPoint Health – DSM Programming
Our staff from John Stoddard Cancer Center will be on-hand to discuss the latest in cancer prevention and treatments. Spin our Wheel of Knowledge and you can walk away with some fun prizes and giveaways!
Search for your favorite Market vendors and discover new ones in the complete vendor list
Enjoy live music from local performers while you shop. This week, hear these performers:
- Alex Gordon Hi-Fi: Alex Gordon performs solo instrumental music on a baritone guitar, allowing him to simultaneously play bass lines, chords and melody. This technique gives the impression that more than one person is performing this easy listening music.
- Bad Friends: Bad Friends is a DSM-based cover band that specializes in a wide variety of classic and alternative rock hits, including songs by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Jimmy Eat World, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Rush and The Beatles.
- Heartland Mini-Railroad Express: Kids are invited to come take a ride on the Mini Railroad! Located on 2nd Street, South of Court Ave. the Heartland Mini Railroad provides young visitors a fun and unique experience while shopping The Market.
- Jon Marko and Jeff Livengood: This singer-songwriter duo performs blues, alternative, folk and indie music with violin and guitar.
- Living Statue: Katelyn McBurney's Living Statue act is derived from classical marble statue form. McBurney has been performing around the region for the last four years, maintaining a held position until interacted with, upon which time she turns into a "living" statue character.
- The Last Laugh Comedy Theater: The Last Laugh Comedy Theater is a family-friendly comedy act. They perform games like those seen on TV's "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" getting the audience in on the action by using their suggestions and even getting them up on stage to play. They make sure all of the public performances are family-friendly and engaging for audiences of all ages.
- The Sheet: The Sheet, an acoustic duo band, plays familiar cover songs from all genres with their own unique style and summer sound. When thinking of style and sound, think Bob Marley/Eric Clapton meets Sublime/Jimi Hendrix. The Sheet is a feel-good party band that will keep you entertained!
- Winspiration Studio: Will Samorey is a professional violionist from DSM. After earning his undergraduate degree in music, Samorey began his career by performing in chamber ensembles, pit orchestras, community and symphony orchestras. He continued on by developing the Metro Chamber Ensemble and is now its Owner and Program Director. All of Samorey's performances can include solo violin work with recorded piano accompaniments as well as violin covers of popular songs.
- WiZe Guys: WiZe Guys play jazz and popular songs. With piano-playing, crooning and the occasional accoustic guitar, WiZe Guys is bound to soothe a crowd.
Stop by the Community Corner on Third Street, south of Court Avenue, to find out what is happening in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Local charitable organizations — welcomed as Saturday Salutes at The Market — promote learning opportunities, Downtown events and community resources each Saturday. This week, check out the Saturday Salutes:
- Des Moines Y Camp: The YMCA's mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all. Y Camp seeks to give kids a strong sense of independence, new friendships, new skills, character development and a fun summer experience. Their brochures will advertise the summer camp program, day camp program, family camp program and retreat and conferences opportunities.
- Neil Smith National Wildlife Refuge − People for Pollinators: Neil Smith National Wildlife Refuge − People for Pollinators partners with schools and businesses around our community to help pollinators survive. They provide educational materials, site planning assistance, vegetative maintenance expertise and seeds or plants to get the garden up and running. Stop by the booth to receive a take-home "pollinator package" and learn how you can help and why pollinators are important.
- Polk County Master Gardeners: The Master Gardener program is a volunteer service training program whereby adults are given advanced training in horticulture in exchange for volunteer service to the community. They will be promoting upcoming events and distributing seasonal educational information.
- LifeServe Blood Center: LifeServe Blood Center saves lives by holding blood drives to support our community. They will have a blood typing activity and will promote an upcoming event in Des Moines.
- Drake University Athletics: Drake University Athletics will be visiting The Market to promote upcoming athletic seasons, distribute ticket vouchers and to take photos with fans.
Market Extras and Special Programming
Enjoy unique programming from Market sponsors during your visit. Learn more about all the Market programming, including special Market deals happening every week. This week, check out this special programming:
- Iowa Wild
- The Des Moines Register