Downtown Farmers' Market: Aug. 18
Date: Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: Historic Court District
Featuring nearly 300 vendors from 50 Iowa counties, the Downtown Farmers’ Market in Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) offers scores of tasty treats each summer on Saturdays. Visitors can enjoy locally grown produce, farm fresh eggs, baked goods and Iowa-raised meat, including beef, pork, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb and tilapia! The adventure doesn’t stop there either. Guests can enjoy local artists, live music and entertainment, ready-to-eat foods, special programming and learning opportunities all in the course of a Saturday morning. Whether it’s seasonal flowers, locally produced wine or a new culinary adventure, there’s always something to experience at the Downtown Farmers’ Market.
This event is free and open to the public.
UnityPoint Health – DSM Programming
Let’s get physical! Join our Wellness staff as they promote the health benefits of regular exercise. They will be holding group exercise sessions at the top of the hour and giving away exercise bands to those that participate. In addition, our experts from the UnityPoint Weightloss Clinic will also be on-hand sharing tips on how to make healthy choices when it comes to eating right and exercising.
Search for your favorite Market vendors and discover new ones in the complete vendor list
Enjoy live music from local performers while you shop. This week, hear these performers:
- Andrew Hoyt Music: Andrew Hoyt is a solo musician who enjoys playing jazz, modern and pop music with his ukulele and voice.
- David Kav: David Kav is professional musician who has been playing acoustic guitar and singing for the last two decades. During his career, he has had the opportunity to collaborate with many artists and even had the privilege to play the National Anthem at Wrigley Field with his former band. Kav specializes in acoustic folk rock, classic rock and original songs that come from his self-produced album.
- DSM Dueling Fiddles: In the style of "dueling pianos," Des Moines Symphony violinists Genevieve Salamone and Hanna Wolle form the DSM Dueling Fiddles duo. With a repertoire consisting of world fiddle music, gypsy, Celtic, pop, rock, Latin, Klezmer, Irish, bluegrass and classical selections, this duo can entertain crowds of all ages!
- Heartland Mini-Railroad Express: Kids are invited to come take a ride on the Mini Railroad! Located on 2nd Street, South of Court Ave. the Heartland Mini Railroad provides young visitors a fun and unique experience while shopping The Market.
- Iowa Playboys: The Iowa Playboys was created by a group of talented musicians with 140+ years of experience. They entertain audiences by playing traditional country and Western swing music.
- Jonathan May − Mr. Magic Productions: Family and corporate magician Jonathan May specializes in making fun and fast balloon animals for the children of the Downtown Farmers' Market. He is known for his minimum wait time and maximum entertainment value!
- Larry Berenguel: Larry Berenguel, Jr. was born in Manila, Philippines, and immigrated with his family to DSM at age 14. Berenguel has studied and performed folk guitar and has performed with several different bands. His music can be described as folk, rock, pop, reggae and jazz with acoustic guitar, synth guitar and occasional rhythm tracks.
Stop by the Community Corner on Third Street, south of Court Avenue, to find out what is happening in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Local charitable organizations — welcomed as Saturday Salutes at The Market — promote learning opportunities, Downtown events and community resources each Saturday. This week, check out the Saturday Salutes:
- Ingersoll Live!: Ingersoll Live! is the major event of the Ingersoll-Grand SSMID, celebrating the neighborhood and promoting businesses in the area. This event is free, with tons of fun activities for all ages!
- Neil Smith National Wildlife Refuge − People for Pollinators: Neil Smith National Wildlife Refuge − People for Pollinators partners with schools and businesses around our community to help pollinators survive. They provide educational materials, site planning assistance, vegetative maintenance expertise and seeds or plants to get the garden up and running. Stop by the booth to receive a take-home "pollinator package" and learn how you can help and why pollinators are important.
- The Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow: Have you ever seen knights in armor, pirates, minstrels and more? Well now you can! Enjoy music, dancing, sword fights and more while meeting characters and learning about The Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow.
Market Extras and Special Programming
Enjoy unique programming from Market sponsors during your visit. Learn more about all the Market programming, including special Market deals happening every week. This week, check out this special programming: