YPC's mission is to promote an environment that attracts and retains young professionals in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Its efforts focus on connecting young professionals to each other and to the community through social, civic, charitable and professional development endeavors.
Members will have unique opportunities to grow personally and professionally and forge lasting relationships. Engage, connect and form a foundation for your future in DSM.
YPC is an initiative of the Greater Des Moines Partnership, an economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 23 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,100 Regional Business Members and 320+ Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes Des Moines as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. See available job openings at careersDSMUSA.com.
In 2000, The Partnership convened with some like-minded young professionals to form the Young Professionals Connection. Today, YPC is a dynamic network of leaders shaping DSM into a fun place to live, work and play. YPC engages hundreds of members in YPC committees and events, Partnership activities and community involvement.
Each year, YPC conducts a survey of its members and newsletter subscribers to help it learn more about how it can shape the organization to meet member needs. YPC's 2017 survey showed:
- 94 percent of members are between the ages of 21 and 35
- 87 percent of members have completed at least a bachelor's degree or higher
- 92 percent of members feel YPC has helped them make connections, become involved throughout the community and develop professionally
Questions about YPC? Check out our FAQ section below for answers on everything you need to know about the program, from registration to committee involvement to special events.
What are the requirements to join YPC?
A desire to get involved in the community! There are no specific professional or age requirements for membership. Membership only requires a fee of $25/year or $40 for a two-year membership. With more than 500 members, YPC provides an opportunity for people to get involved at the level that fits them best. Become a member today!
Why Join YPC?
- The chance to get involved in the community to advance the initiatives and efforts important to young professionals and to encourage an atmosphere conducive to attracting additional young professionals to DSM.
- The opportunity to network and meet fellow young professionals in DSM.
- Access to member-only events and specific YPC member benefits provided by area businesses exclusively to YPC members.
- Access to business and community leaders via YPC events and its association with the The Partnership.
- Unique activities showcasing the regional community with a focus on civic, charitable, professional development and social efforts.
- Opportunities to get involved or take a leadership role in any of YPC's committees.
- Opportunities to attend Partnership activities and events at a Partner Member rate.
How can members or potential members best find out about upcoming events?
Do YPC events require registration?
Most events do not require pre-registration. Volunteer opportunities, athletic intramurals and events that require tickets usually require registration or payment beforehand. Please consult the calendar of events for details on a particular event.
How can a new member or potential member learn more about getting involved?
YPC holds a new member meet-up where attendees can have the chance to learn more from current YPC Members and ask questions in a small-group setting. New members and potential members are welcome to attend.
What committees are available to get involved in?
YPC’s committees include Athletics, Civic, Volunteer, Diversity and Culture, Impact Downtown, Marketing, Membership, Professional Development and Social. Members have the opportunity to get involved in any number of committees they wish. Non-members are able to attend committee meetings but are encouraged to join YPC. Each committee meets on a consistent day and time once a month. To see when a particular committee meets next, please visit the YPC calendar.
Who are the YPC leaders to connect with and contact with questions?
The YPC Board is made up of 16 members who are up for election each year. Learn more about the Board and current members.
How do I reset a password or register for an event?
For web-related support, please email the YPC webmaster at webmaster@ypcDSM.com.