Greater Des Moines Locals Awarded for Support of Tourism Industry
Catch Des Moines honored nine businesses and individuals for their strong commitment to and support of the tourism industry in Greater Des Moines. Winners were recognized at the 2018 Catch Des Moines Annual Celebration, an event that celebrates the success and continued growth of tourism and the hospitality industry in the metro.
The businesses, nonprofits and individuals received awards for their work in making Greater Des Moines a better place to visit, live and work, in turn furthering the mission of Catch Des Moines from July 2017 – June 2018. Three additional businesses were selected through online voting for the 2018 Visitor Choice Awards.
“Our success would not be possible without the strong partnerships we have with community businesses, leaders and organizations,” said Greg Edwards, President & CEO of Catch Des Moines. “From the champions who help bring more events and leisure travelers to the teams that exemplify first-class hospitality, increasing visitors to Greater Des Moines truly is a group effort.”
The following awards were presented:
Champion Award Winners
- Catch Des Moines Champion: Jay Byers & The Greater Des Moines Partnership team
- This champion helps bring more visitors to Greater Des Moines.
- Community Champion: Principal Charity Classic
- Whether a group or individual, this community contributor has made Greater Des Moines a better place to live, visit and work.
- Corporate Champion: Wells Fargo
- The advocacy of this corporation brings vitality and strength to Greater Des Moines tourism.
- Partner Champion: Full Court Press
- This partner proudly supports tourism efforts in Greater Des Moines.
- Sports Champion: Wes Creason (Iowa AAU Wrestling)
- This winner shows support in bringing sporting events to Greater Des Moines.
- Spirit of Hospitality: Des Moines Performing Arts
- This individual or group exemplifies first-class hospitality and has a passion for enhancing the industry.
Visitor Choice Awards – determined by visitor vote
- Attraction of the Year: Downtown Farmers’ Market
- Hotel of the Year: Des Moines Marriott Downtown
- Restaurant of the Year: Centro