2014 Excellence in Energy Efficient Design Awards Recipients Announced
Recipients of the 2014 Excellence in Energy Efficient Design awards were announced at the 2014 Iowa American Institute of Architects Convention in Des Moines, Iowa. The Excellence in Energy Efficient Design awards program recognizes outstanding efforts in reducing energy use. Award candidates are selected from projects whose designers participated in the Commercial New Construction program offered by Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy Company. Projects must have been completed between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014.
The Commercial New Construction program provides energy design assistance and energy-efficiency incentives to commercial customers for new construction, additions and renovation projects located in areas served by the three utilities.
The Commercial New Construction program recognizes the following companies:
- Solum Lang Architects, LLC and Design Engineers for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, Central Fire Station, achieving a 73 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Emswiler Architecture for the St. Mary of The Assumption Parish, Community Center, achieving a 65 percent annual kBTU savings.
- INVISION Architecture and MODUS Engineering for the Waterloo Community School District, Orange Elementary, achieving a 64 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Design Alliance, Inc. and Twin Rivers Engineering Consultants for the Johnston Fire Department, Fire Station #2, achieving a 63 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Straka Johnson Architects, P.C. and Design Engineers for the University of Dubuque, Heritage Center, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- DLR Group for the North Polk Community School District, North Polk High School, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- BCDM Architects and Alvine Engineering for the Des Moines Public Schools Studebaker Elementary School Addition and Renovation, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- StruXture Architects and Farris Engineering for the Cardinal Community School District, Cardinal Elementary Addition and Renovation, achieving a 56 percent annual kBTU savings.
- FEH Associates Inc. and Farris Engineering for The Iowa Army Ammunition Plant Multi-Purpose Fire and Security Building in Middletown, Iowa; achieving a 56 percent annual kBTU savings.
- OPN Architects and Design Engineers for the Cedar Rapids Public Library, Downtown Library, achieving a 56 percent annual kBTU savings.
Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy thank the Iowa architectural and engineering communities for their continued dedication to energy efficiency and participation in the Commercial New Construction program.
Alliant Energy Corporation’s Iowa and Minnesota utility subsidiary, Interstate Power and Light Company, utilizes the trade name of Alliant Energy. The Iowa and Minnesota utility is based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and provides electric service to 525,000 customers and natural gas service to 233,000 customers in more than 700 communities. The employees of Alliant Energy focus on delivering the energy and exceptional service their customers and communities expect — safely, reliably, and affordably. Visit alliantenergy.com or call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) for more information. Alliant Energy Corporation is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LNT.
Black Hills Energy — Iowa Gas
Black Hills/Iowa Gas Utility Company, LLC d/b/a Black Hills Energy serves 151,000 natural gas customers in 130 Iowa communities and is a recipient of the U.S. EPA 2012 ENERGY STAR® Leadership in Housing Award. Black Hills Energy is a subsidiary of Black Hills Corp., a diversified energy company with a tradition of exemplary service and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Black Hills Corp. is based in Rapid City, S.D., with corporate offices in
Denver and Papillion, Neb. Black Hills Corp. serves 765,000 natural gas and electric utility customers in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming, and its non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal. Black Hills Corp.’s 2,000 employees partner to produce results that are improving life with energy. More information is available at blackhillscorp.com.
MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company, Iowa’s largest energy company, provides electric service to 734,000 customers and natural gas service to 714,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website and its Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via midamericanenergy.com.