Meetup in Ankeny During RAGBRAI L for the Bicycle Bash + More
The City of Ankeny will welcome RAGBRAI L participants in the morning on Wednesday, July 26, 2023. Ankeny will serve as a meetup town for bicyclists and their support teams ride from Ames to Des Moines on Day 4 of RAGBRAI, even hosting a party for cyclists and the general public, with festivities beginning at 7 a.m.
The Bicycle Bash in Uptown and The District at Prairie Trail is a not-to-miss party with breakfast or lunch from a variety of food trucks. Shop local retailers or find live music in The District until 3 p.m. or catch the DJ in Uptown. The John Deere Busch Light combine will be in Uptown, too — stop by and snap a photo here or at the live art exhibit.
The official route will begin on the northwest side of the city on NW Irvinedale Drive. The streets on the route will close as early as 7:30 a.m. until around 5 p.m. The route includes stops for the Bicycle Bash. Riders will leave Ankeny via South Ankeny Boulevard/Highway 69. Turn by turn directions are as follows:
1. NW 118th Street to NW Irvinedale Drive
2. Turn right on NW Irvinedale Drive to NW 18th Street
3. Turn left on NW 18th Street to NW State Street
4. Turn right on NW State Street to NW Prairie Ridge Drive
5. Turn left on NW Prairie Ridge Drive to NW Ash Drive
6. Turn right on NW Ash Drive, which becomes SW Cherry Street to SW Magazine Road
7. Turn right on SW Magazine Road to SW District Drive
8. Turn left on SW District Drive to SW Prairie Trail Pkwy.
9. Turn left on SW Prairie Trail Pkwy to S. Ankeny BLVD
10. Turn right on S. Ankeny Boulevard to travel to Des Moines
Photo Credit: Kyle's Bikes
While RAGBRAI organizers have worked to minimize disruptions, the City of Ankeny is encouraging residents to allow extra time for daily activities on the 26th. Expect delays with the increased bicycle activity and consider scheduling appointments for before or after the event.
The Ankeny RAGBRAI planning committee includes the City of Ankeny, Uptown Ankeny Association, The District - Prairie Trail and Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce. Find more information at ankenyiowa.gov/RAGBRAI.
Whether it’s a morning on the lake or an evening spent exploring Greater Des Moines’ (DSM’s) 800 miles of connected recreational trails, the region has many outdoor options.