15 Pride Events to Attend This Month in DSM
Pride month is here, and we’ve got so many fun events for you to attend in Greater Des Moines (DSM)! From fun runs to cheering on the Iowa Cubs baseball team, you won’t want to miss any of the celebrations coming up around the region. Some events require registration, so sign up now to ensure you have a ticket to the event!
15 Pride Events in Greater Des Moines
1. The Pride Walk at Pappajohn Sculpture Park in Downtown DSM on Thursday, June 1 at 6:30 p.m. is a peaceful protest put on by Capital City Pride. Walk from the Sculpture Park to the Capitol along Locust Street with others celebrating the LGBTQ community.
2. Ages 18+ are invited to Painting with a Twist in Urbandale to paint “Love Surf at Pride” on Friday, June 2 from 7 – 9 p.m. The cost is $39 and includes a 16x20 canvas.
3. Also, taking place Friday, June 2 is the I-Cubs Pride Night at Principal Park at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 — ticket sales close on Thursday, June 1 so make your purchase now to ensure you don’t miss out!
4. On Thursday, June 8, The Temple Theater in Downtown DSM will run “Cages or Wings” for three nights. The event features the Des Moines Gay Men’s Chorus for performances meant to inspire and celebrate diversity.
5. Capital City Pride’s annual PrideFest celebration will take place June 9 – 11, 2023. The 44th annual event will include a Ms. Mr. Mx. Pageant, parade and much more! Stop by the PrideFest Zone, too. The Teen Zone will include a silent disco, selfie station and more. The Family Zone will welcome mascots from local sports teams, a cupcake decorating class, balloon animals and Star party at the Science Center of Iowa, among other highlights, while the Pet Zone will offer a Dog Agility Course, adoptable pets and more. Headlining entertainment includes Trixie Mattel, Sheila E. and Shangela.
6. The Capital City Pride Stride 5K takes off in the Historic East Village on Saturday, June 10 at 8 a.m. Participants can walk or run — the point is to have fun! Meet up at 350 E. Locust St. to join the race. The Little Rainbow Run (up to .5K) takes place at 2:30 p.m. following Stride 5K festivities.
7. Join other pet owners during the 2023 Capital City Pride Pet Parade on Saturday, June 10 at 10 a.m. Costumes for your pets are encouraged! Win a pet and owner lookalike contest, and when you register, receive a Capital City Pride-branded pet tag and bandana. Registration increases from $10 after Friday, June 9 so sign up today!
8. Capital City Pride is reserving the 5 Island Cabana’s at Adventure Bay for 75 people to take part in Service Day at Adventureland in Altoona. Relax at the water park after PrideFest on Monday, June 12 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. Tickets are $37.99 and can be purchased here.
9. View LGBTQ-themed films during the Des Moines Latino Film Festival: LGBTQ Night at the State Historical Museum on Wednesday, June 14 from 4:30 p.m. until 9 p.m.
10. The whole family is invited to the all-ages Disney Drag Brunch: Heroes and Villains at The Garden on Saturday, June 17 at 11 a.m. Doors open at 10 a.m. for the rooftop brunch! Other drag performances this month include:
- Drag Brunch on the Exile Brewing Co. Patio PRIDE Edition (21+) on Saturday, June 3 at 10 a.m.
- Drag Brunch (21+) at Tonic Bar Court Avenue in Downtown DSM on Sunday, June 4 at 10 a.m.
- All Ages Drag Brunch at Decades Event Center in West Des Moines on Sunday, June 4 at 11 a.m.
- Drag is Not a Crime Show (21+) at The Garden Nightclub in Downtown DSM on Friday, June 9 at 8 p.m.
- Sickening Saturday Drag Show (21+) at The Garden Nightclub in Downtown DSM on Saturday, June 10 at 10 p.m. Proceeds benefit CAAP and Annie’s Foundation.
- NextGen All-Ages Drag Show at The Garden Nightclub in Downtown DSM on Sunday, June 11 at 3 p.m.
- Born This Way Drag Show (21+) at The Garden Nightclub in Downtown DSM on Sunday, June 11 at 6 p.m.
11. Get your tickets for the Pride Bar Crawl on Saturday, June 17 in Downtown DSM! From 4 p.m. until Midnight, visit venues like Hessen Haus, American Outlaws, The Stuffed Olive, Voodoo Lounge and Nightingale Cocktail, see a drag show and enjoy exclusive food and drink specials.
12. On Saturday, June 24, head to the Ankeny market Pavilion for Ankeny Pride. Take part in children’s activities, race in a Rainbow Run, participate in the pet parade and see live performances from 4 – 9 p.m.
13. Visit the Forest Avenue Library to take part in the PRIDE Month Scavenger Hunt from Monday, June 26 through Saturday, July 1. Find pictures of prominent LGBTQ figures hidden throughout the building.
14. The South Side Library will hold a Weave Your Pride! event on Wednesday, June 28 from 3:30 – 5 p.m. Pick your colors and weave a Pride flag tapestry.
15. When you purchase tickets to the 14th Annual One Iowa Gala at The River Center on Friday, June 30 at 7 p.m., you’ll be part of making a difference in the state of Iowa. The event focuses on ways to preserve LGBTQ equality and raise money for One Iowa’s mission.
The Greater Des Moines Partnership calendar of events is a one-stop resource for activities taking place throughout the region. Find networking information for Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses or events specific to Downtown DSM.