Register Today for DSM Book Festival Activities That Begin Next Week; Learn About Local Authors
DOWNTOWN DES MOINES, IOWA (March 17, 2021) – There is just under a week left to register for the first Saturday of the 2021 DSM Book Festival. The story begins next Saturday March 27 at 9 a.m., with virtual and distanced in-person programming running through four consecutive Saturdays in March and April.
Admission for all Festival events is free, with opportunities to purchase premium workshop kits and VIP experiences noted throughout the registration process. Capacity is limited, and registration for events taking place March 27 will close on Tuesday, March 23 with the exception of the Prairie Meadows Author Series. Interested parties should sign up for their favorite events either virtually or in-person as soon as possible. In-person events will be offered in a small, socially distanced format. Masks will be required at all in-person events.
The Prairie Meadows Author Series will feature headlining authors each Saturday via Zoom at 3 p.m., with an exclusive event for Festival VIPs following each public discussion.
March 27: Tayari Jones, Author of “The American Marriage” presented by the Des Moines Public Library’s AViD
- April 3: Chuck Klosterman, Author of "But What If We're Wrong?" presented by Kum & Go
- April 10: Lara Prescott, Author of "The Secrets We Kept" presented by The John Ruan Foundation
- April 17: Taylor Jenkins Reid, Author of “Daisy Jones and the Six” presented by the Polk County Board of Supervisors
VIPs will also receive a featured book with an autographed bookplate and other special Festival treats.
The Festival announced today that it will also virtually celebrate over 60 additional authors with ties to Iowa on the Festival Authors webpage, where readers can support each author’s latest work and find out where to follow them on social media for writing and publishing updates. This content has been created in place of the in-person author booths that are normally presented at the in-person event.
Additional previously announce programming includes:
Creatives of all specialties, from calligraphy to embroidery to aspiring writers, can bring their talents to the table each Saturday during the free, interactive workshops. All workshops are available virtually or in-person at the Festival’s Meredith Classroom inside Capital Square.
- Literature and Libations happy hours — sponsored by BH Companies — will take place every evening. Readers will engage with classic literature in a fun and casual atmosphere where their favorite books are paired with a selection of alcoholic beverage samples. Participants can attend these events virtually or in-person and must be 21 or over to attend.
- Younger attendees can also participate in the festivities through the Just for Kids activities — presented by Bankers Trust. Downloadable activity sheets and specialty themed kids’ kits will be available for families to enjoy together from the comfort of their own homes. Interested parties can reserve kids’ kits online for pick-up at one of two drive-up events.
Learn more about events, featured authors and how you can register as a VIP by visiting DSMbookfestival.com.
The DSM Book Festival is sponsored by Prairie Meadows, John Ruan Foundation, Meredith Corporation, Kum & Go, Des Moines Public Library, Polk County Board of Supervisors, Nationwide, Bankers Trust, Don and Margo Blumenthal, BH Companies, Des Moines Area Community College and the William C. Knapp Charitable Foundation. The DSM Book Festival has received a grant award from Humanities Iowa, a state-based affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Media sponsors for the event include WHO-TV Channel 13, KIOA 93.3, Des Moines Register and Iowa Public Radio. The DSM Book Festival is produced by the Greater Des Moines Partnership. Learn more at DSMbookfestival.com.
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 365 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.