Partnership to Host Discussions on Summer Education, Youth Employment Programs
GREATER DES MOINES, IA (May 17, 2021) – The Greater Des Moines Partnership will hold a pair of events focused on programming available to help youth in Greater Des Moines (DSM) find educational opportunities.
A Youth Employment Programs panel is scheduled for Thursday, May 20 from 10 – 11 a.m. State officials, local employers and non-profit leaders will talk about efforts to create a diverse and inclusive future workforce in DSM and the importance of empowering youth to be prepared for jobs of the 21st Century. Panelists will include:
- Janice Lane Schroeder, CEO of Children & Families of Iowa
- Vernon Johnson, Vice President Youth Education and Engagement at Oakridge Neighborhood
- Kathy Leggett, Policy Advisor for Future Ready Iowa
- Dr. Ahmed Agyeman, Director of the Evelyn K. Davis Center for Working Families at Des Moines Area Community College
- A representative from Hy-Vee, Inc.
A Summer Education Programming panel discussion is scheduled for Tuesday, May 25 from 10 – 11 a.m. State officials, local education administrators and non-profit leaders will discuss how they will be working over the summer to help students get back on track after the learning loss that has occurred during the pandemic. Panelists will include:
- Bradley Niebling, Chief, Bureau of Learner Strategies and Supports
- Miriam Willoughby, Academic Pathways Supervisor at Des Moines Public Schools
- Kate Bennett, Community Impact Officer, Education at United Way of Central Iowa
- Lisa Remy, Superintendent of West Des Moines Community Schools
“The past year has been challenging for youth in DSM as we are still working to understand the extent of learning loss for youth across the country,” said Dr. Marvin DeJear, Senior Vice President of Talent Development at the Greater Des Moines Partnership. “The need to cultivate and retain local talent is vital for our local employers, and these discussions will help community leaders learn more about what they can do to ensure today’s students are prepared for jobs that will exist in DSM.”
Learn more about the events and register here.
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 365 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.