Downtown DSM Quarterly Report Shows Increase In Foot Traffic, Strong Momentum On Economic Development and Projects
GREATER DES MOINES, IA (June 22, 2023) – The Greater Des Moines Partnership has released its Downtown DSM Quarterly Report for the second quarter of 2023. The report details foot traffic statistics, media and public relations metrics, headlines and more related to Downtown Des Moines (DSM).
Key findings include:
- Workday foot traffic is up an average of 28% year-over-year from the beginning of the year through May compared to 2022. This includes an average of 33% growth on core days of Tuesday – Thursday.
- Overall, Downtown foot traffic is at 80% of pre-pandemic levels and 8% over 2022 levels.
- Downtown economic development activity led to nearly $8.7 million in capital investment reported in the second quarter. Projects that were announced in the most recent quarter included Landus and Meta Fuel.
- Spring and summer events are in full swing including the Downtown Farmers’ Market presented by UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, which drew more than 155,000 visitors during its first month in May.
- Major projects moved forward including the Iowa Confluence (ICON) Water Trails, which held a groundbreaking at its Scott Avenue site.
- More than 15 million people viewed the #downtownDSM hashtag.
“You can feel the momentum of Downtown DSM with major spring and summer events, economic development projects, buzzworthy news and more people coming back Downtown during the workday,” said Tiffany Tauscheck, incoming President & CEO of the Greater Des Moines Partnership. “Downtown is everyone’s Downtown, and we continue to see regional and Downtown momentum grow side by side with metrics such as our regional population growth that is outpacing Midwest peers.”
View the full report here.
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 400 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.
About Downtown, DSM, Inc.
Downtown DSM, Inc. is part of the Greater Des Moines Partnership and is dedicated to ensuring the continued growth of Downtown Des Moines (DSM). A strong region needs a strong Downtown. Downtown DSM, Inc. leads efforts to drive development, placemaking and events in Downtown DSM. It promotes a strong Downtown through integration of retail, restaurants, businesses, housing, events and placemaking.