Downtown DSM Quarterly Report Highlights Momentum, Activity
GREATER DES MOINES, IA (April 12, 2023) – The Greater Des Moines Partnership has released its inaugural Downtown DSM Quarterly Report for the first quarter of 2023. This newly developed report details foot traffic statistics, media and public relations metrics, headlines and more related to Downtown Des Moines (DSM).
The metrics showcase Downtown DSM’s momentum during the start of 2023. Key findings include:
- Downtown DSM foot traffic numbers continue to trend upward.
- Downtown DSM foot traffic averaged more than 83% of pre-pandemic levels from Jan. 1 – March 24, including 91% on weekend days.
- This is significantly higher than the national Kastle Back to Work Barometer, which is measuring at 48% of pre-pandemic levels.
- Downtown economic development projects in January and February included OpenLoop Health and Gross-Wen Technologies, which resulted in more than $11 million in capital investment. The OpenLoop project resulted in the creation of 400 new in-person jobs in Downtown DSM.
- Events and activations such as the DSM Loves You Valentine’s Activation, the Great DSM Hot Air Balloon Hunt, March Madness, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and more brought thousands of attendees to Downtown DSM.
- Downtown momentum included national recognition garnered by the March Madness tournament and Seton O’Connor from the “Dan Patrick Show.”
“Downtown DSM continues to evolve with positive momentum related to economic development, major community projects, must-attend events and more that continue to make it a place residents, workers and visitors want to experience,” said Tiffany Tauscheck, Chief Operations Officer of The Partnership and President of Downtown DSM, Inc. “We are excited for upcoming events that will create vibrancy Downtown including the Downtown Farmers’ Market, RAGBRAI’s overnight stay, Out to Lunch food truck events, the Iowa Cubs, world-class shows at the Civic Center and much more.”
View the full report here.
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 24 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,500 Regional Business Members and more than 400 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.
About Downtown, DSM, Inc.
Downtown DSM, Inc. is part of the Greater Des Moines Partnership and is dedicated to ensuring the continued growth of Downtown Des Moines (DSM). A strong region needs a strong Downtown. Downtown DSM, Inc. leads efforts to drive development, placemaking and events in Downtown DSM. It promotes a strong Downtown through integration of retail, restaurants, businesses, housing, events and placemaking.