Wonder Of Words Festival Announces Full Schedule
The Wonder of Words Festival has announced the schedule for its Main Stage, MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook and Prairie Meadows Breakout Room and Principal Breakout Room lineups. The festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 18 and Sunday, June 19, 2016 in Western Gateway Park. The free outdoor event features presentations and signings by acclaimed authors, as well as workshops, conversation panels, literary exhibitors, book sales, children’s entertainment and food trucks. Craig Johnson, the headline speaker sponsored by Hubbell Realty, will speak from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Johnson is the author of the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, including The New York Times best-seller “Hell is Empty.” The entire Main Stage lineup is as follows:
Saturday, June 18
- 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Summer Miller, author of “New Prairie Kitchen,” sponsored by Ruan Center Corporation.
- Noon – 1 p.m.: Jocelyn Delk Adams, author of “GRANDBABY CAKES: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memories,” sponsored by Bankers Trust.
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: Jennifer Wilson, author of “Water,” sponsored by Casey’s General Stores.
- 3 – 4 p.m.: Charlotte Rogan, author of The New York Times best-seller “The Lifeboat,” sponsored by Meredith.
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Craig Johnson, sponsored by Hubbell Realty.
Sunday, June 19
- 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Kali VanBaale, author of “The Good Divide,” sponsored by Knapp Properties.
- Noon – 1 p.m.: Jerry Nelson, author of “Dear County Agent Guy – Calf Pulling, Husband Training and Other Curious Dispatchers from a Midwestern Dairy Farmer,” sponsored by EMC Insurnace.
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: Dave Price, WHO-TV 13 Political Director and author of “Caucus Chaos,” sponsored by Wells Fargo.
- 3 – 4 p.m.: Tim Johnston, author of The New York Times best-seller “Descent,” sponsored by Nationwide.
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Andrew Maraniss, author of The New York Times best-seller “Strong Inside: Perry Wallace and the Collision of Race and Sports in the South,” sponsored by American Enterprise Group.
Following each Main Stage presentation, there will be 30 minutes allocated for book signing.
In addition to the Main Stage, the MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook will feature family-friendly literary entertainment throughout both days of the festival. The Prairie Meadows Breakout Room and Principal Breakout Room will each feature up-and-coming as well as established local and regional authors.
Full schedules and author descriptions are available on WonderOfWordsFest.com.
The Wonder of Words Festival is made possible by a number of sponsors, including American Enterprise Group, Bankers Trust, Bravo Greater Des Moines, Casey’s General Stores, EMC Insurance, Hubbell Realty, Knapp Properties, Meredith Corporation, MidAmerican Energy Company, Nationwide, the Polk County Board of Supervisors, Prairie Meadows, Principal, Ruan Corporation, Star 102.5, the University of Iowa John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center, Voya Financial and Wells Fargo.
About the Downtown Community Alliance
The Downtown Community Alliance (DCA) is a 501(c)(6) corporation that is dedicated to promoting and improving Downtown Des Moines. It is wholly owned by the Greater Des Moines Partnership. The DCA is the sole owner of the Downtown Events Group (DEG), a 501(c)(3) corporation, which produces events intended to promote the Downtown and enhance the quality of life and economic vitality of our community. The mission of the DCA is to achieve a shared vision for the future of downtown Des Moines by providing leadership, initiative, advocacy and building partnerships, and achieving shared solutions. The DCA provides a consistent and constant focus on developing and maintaining a vibrant downtown core.