"DSM USA Music Mix Volume II" Now Accepting Submissions
The Greater Des Moines Partnership has partnered with the Des Moines Music Coalition to help showcase the thriving music industry in Greater Des Moines (DSM) by issuing a second “CarpeDM” music compilation. The project supports the Partnership’s promotion of the region’s creative culture and quality of life as a strategy of its workforce attraction programming.
“This is an outstanding promotional tool to not only spotlight our local musicians, but also provide a taste of Des Moines’ music culture to people considering relocation to our area,” said Mary Bontrager, Executive Vice President, Workforce Development/Education at the Partnership.
As voted by the public, last year’s compilation featured original songs by Brother Trucker, Gloom Balloon and Bonnie Finken, among others. Once again, the music mix will be unveiled at the South By Southwest (SXSW) Interactive and Music Festival in Austin, Texas, in March. Following SXSW, the compilation will be distributed at career fairs and out-of-state recruitment events, as well online through the Partnership’s lifestyle recruitment website, DSMpartnership.com.
MUSIC SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, FEB. 13
- Submissions are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 13.
- Artists/Bands are allowed to submit one original song in mp3 format emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By submitting, the musician/band gives permission to The Partnership to publish and distribute the song.
- Artists/Bands must have the authority to make the song available.
- Selected tracks will be compensated for their use in the compilation.
- No songs selected to the previous compilation will be considered.
- Additional submission requirements are listed on desmoinesmc.com
A local jury of music industry professionals will score tracks based on three criteria:
- songwriting — the quality of original musical and lyrical compositions;
- musicianship — execution appropriate to the material; and
- appropriateness for compilation — lyric content, production quality, and artist activity with the community.
The 20 songs with the highest scores will be made available for public online voting on Friday, Feb. 20 through Tuesday, Feb. 24. Individuals will be able to cast votes for three songs they feel best represent Central Iowa’s music scene. The 12 songs with the most votes are planned to appear on the compilation. The winning artists will be announced on Friday, Feb. 27 at the Backstage Ball, celebrating 10 years of building a strong music scene in DSM.
DSM USA Music Mix was formerly known as CarpeDM Music Mix.
About the DMMC
The Greater Des Moines Music Coalition (DMMC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and collaborative movement committed to building a stronger and more diverse music community in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Its mission is to aggressively advocate, sponsor, and develop an independent, progressive live music community in DSM for the purpose of urban revitalization, regional economic development, and the retention of our region’s youth and
About the Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is the economic and community development organization that serves Greater Des Moines (DSM), Iowa. Together with 23 Affiliate Chambers of Commerce, more than 6,100 Regional Business Members and more than 330 Investors, The Partnership drives economic growth with one voice, one mission and as one region. Through innovation, strategic planning and global collaboration, The Partnership grows opportunity, helps create jobs and promotes DSM as the best place to build a business, a career and a future. Learn more at DSMpartnership.com.