Businesses to Help You Celebrate 515 Day in Downtown Des Moines in 2023
Help us support what’s new and updated in Downtown DSM this year! Supporting and showing love for the Downtown Des Moines (DSM) community on 515 Day can be a fun way to celebrate where you live, work and play. Grab a few friends for after-work drinks or stop in at a local shop in the Historic East Village or other downtown neighborhood on Monday, May 15 to be a part of the festivities.
Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines
Allora Café – Located within the Krause Gateway Center, Allora Café uses farm-fresh ingredients to create Italian pastas in house. Open 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. on Mondays.
- Beer Can Alley – The country bar, once housed in Court Center, now has some new digs on Court Avenue. Open 11 a.m. until 2 a.m. on Mondays.
- Common Ground – A coffee shop located in the EMC Insurance campus on Walnut Street. Open 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Mondays.
- Dough Mama’s Pizzeria – From specialty pizza to good ol’ cheese, Dough Mama’s is a local pizzeria that’s got big slices and quality service. Open 3 – 11 p.m. on Mondays.
- HomeGrown – Now open in the Historic Crescent Building, HomeGrown Des Moines offers the flavors of the season. Right now, enjoy the “Corned Beef Hash” or “Iowa’s Own Whiskey Cream Latte.” Open 6:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. on Mondays.
- Mars Café – On the corner of 7th Street and Locust Street is the solar system’s best coffee. Open 7 a.m. to Noon on Mondays.
- Vibes Kitchen and Bar – Dine in or enjoy the outdoor seating at Vibes, where you can order wings, flatbreads, burgers and more. Open 11 a.m. until Midnight on Mondays.
Shops in Downtown Des Moines
Designed by the Streets – Located in Mainframe Studios, Designed by the Streets owner Antonio Roddy creates streetwear clothing and offers embroidery services.
- East Village Spa – Moved to a new location at 300 E. Locust St., Suite 313 with expanded parking options. Open 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Mondays.
- Red Door Press – Ahead of 515 Day, Red Door Press , a Downtown Farmers' Market vendor, has partnered with The Side Garage to offer a preorder of 515 Day t-shirts and sweatshirts. Order at their Market booth Saturday, May 13.
- Storyhouse Bookpub – This local bookstore joined the Historic East Village in 2022 and brings books and people together in a welcoming space. Open 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Mondays.
Things to Do in Downtown Des Moines
While the downtown attractions listed below aren't holding events on 515 Day this year, you can still book tickets for another night the week of 515 Day or visit during alternative open hours to show support!
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden – The Prairie Meadows Living Wall had its yearly change out recently. Stop in at the Botanical Garden and see nearly 1,400 plants in the wall!
- Teehee's Comedy Club – Teehee's is under new management since April 2022. Many shows are free admission so check out the schedule and show up to see great comedy in Downtown DSM.
When you’re out and about on 515 Day this year, don’t forget to share your stops on social media. Wherever you choose to shop, dine or explore in downtown, highlight your purchases by posting them to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter — and don’t forget to include the hashtags #downtownDSMUSA and #515Day with your post! Local business owners will love seeing that you’re happy with your experience, and they will appreciate feeling the love during the 2023 515 Day celebration!
The Greater Des Moines Partnership calendar of events is a one-stop resource for activities taking place throughout the region. Find networking information for Greater Des Moines (DSM) businesses or events specific to Downtown DSM.
Attractions , Downtown , Gray's Lake , Historic Court Avenue , Historic East Village , Market District , Restaurants and Nightlife , Sherman Hill , Shopping , Sports , Things To Do , Western Gateway Park