Downtown Farmers' Market: Sept. 22
Date: Saturday, Sep. 22, 2018 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Location: Historic Court District
Featuring nearly 300 vendors from 50 Iowa counties, the Downtown Farmers’ Market in Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines (DSM) offers scores of tasty treats each summer on Saturdays. Visitors can enjoy locally grown produce, farm fresh eggs, baked goods and Iowa-raised meat, including beef, pork, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb and tilapia! The adventure doesn’t stop there either. Guests can enjoy local artists, live music and entertainment, ready-to-eat foods, special programming and learning opportunities all in the course of a Saturday morning. Whether it’s seasonal flowers, locally produced wine or a new culinary adventure, there’s always something to experience at the Downtown Farmers’ Market.
This event is free and open to the public.
UnityPoint Health – DSM Programming
Do you enjoy volunteering? Come visit with our staff from volunteer services as they share information about opportunities to give back and the important roles volunteers play at all four of our hospitals. In addition, employees from our Not New Shop, a thrift store benefiting Iowa Lutheran Hospital, will also be on-site to showcasing what the store has to offer!
Search for your favorite Market vendors and discover new ones in the complete vendor list
Enjoy live music from local performers while you shop. This week, hear these performers:
- Andrew Hoyt Music: Andrew Hoyt is a solo musician who enjoys playing jazz, modern and pop music with his ukulele and voice.
- B. John Burns: B. John Burns is a Greater Des Moines (DSM) songwriter who celebrated his 40th year on stage in 2016. He performs his songs on piano and guitar and covers a wide spectrum of musical styles, including folk, pop, blues, rock and country.
- Creations With A Twist: Daniel Poe from Creations With A Twist has been in business for nine years and has provided amazing balloon art at a wide variety of events. People of all ages enjoy watching him twist colorful balloons into recognizable characters, incredible wearables and comical sculptures!
- Maninoa Courtright: An Iowa transplant, Maninoa Le'au Courtright was born in Las Vegas where she began singing and performing at a young age. Courtright plays piano, guitar and ukelele covers of popular tunes from a wide variety of genres.
- Ron Burchett: Ron Burchett is a local musician, singer, guitarist and songwriter with more than 30 years of experience. He first started performing on stage as a teenager and later became part of the Iowa Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame-recognized band, Con Brio, which was popular in DSM in the late 1970s. Since then, Burchett has performed solo acoustic gigs throughout Iowa.
- Samantha White: With over a decade of experience, Samantha White is a solo violinist with a large repertoire of bluegrass, Celtic and folk songs.
- The Zachary Freedom Duo: No matter the age, audience or gender, Zach always finds a way to leave people wanting more. Having moved nine times in four years, Zach tells his story through his music. Filled with hope, sadness, joy, frustration and life, you won't want to miss out. He's shared the stage with rap artists, metal bands, poets and others beyond his classified genre.
- Tropical Steel: With over 14 years of performance experience at The Market, this local group boasts of a Caribbean-steel style. Their tropical program, involving crowd participation, hula hoops and small instruments, is enjoyable for all ages!
- Urbandale Community Adult Swing Band: This swing band plays a variety of swing and jazz music. Under the direction of Janna Rutledge, this group of 15 members represents a range of age groups, talents and communities from around DSM.
Stop by the Community Corner on Third Street, south of Court Avenue, to find out what is happening in Greater Des Moines (DSM). Local charitable organizations — welcomed as Saturday Salutes at The Market — promote learning opportunities, Downtown events and community resources each Saturday. This week, check out the Saturday Salutes:
Market Extras and Special Programming
Enjoy unique programming from Market sponsors during your visit. Learn more about all the Market programming, including special Market deals happening every week. This week, check out this special programming: