Directions & Parking
Brenton Skating Plaza is easily accessible from the interstate, Western Gateway and the Historic East Village by car, public transportation, bike or by foot. Brenton Skating Plaza is located right next to the Des Moines River, at the corner of Robert D. Ray Drive and East Grand Avenue. The D-Line runs in a loop all around Downtown every 10 minutes from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Bike racks are conveniently located all around Brenton Skating Plaza as well as a B-cycle station on the corner of Robert D. Ray Drive and East Grand Avenue.
The Brenton Skating Plaza is conveniently located along the Principal Riverwalk, in the heart of Downtown Des Moines (DSM). The center is easily accessible along the waterfront and just blocks away from the city’s other Downtown DSM attractions, including the Science Center of Iowa, Principal Park, the Historic East Village, the Iowa State Historical Building, Iowa State Capitol and a number of dining and entertainment venues.
Free Parking Evenings And Weekends
- All street meters are free after 6 p.m. on weekdays. Saturday, Sunday and holidays are free all day.
- Valet parking is available at Embassy Suites located at 101 E. Locust St., one block south of the skating rink ($8 up to four hours and $15 thereafter).
- Additional parking in the lot behind the Argonne Armory Building (602 Robert D. Ray Dr., Des Moines) north of Brenton Skating Plaza or in the Iowa Workforce Development parking lot (430 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines) northeast of Brenton Skating Plaza after 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- City of Des Moines parking ramps are also available, including the nearby ramp at E. 2nd and E. Grand.
- Learn more about Downtown parking.
If you are bringing a bus to Brenton Skating Plaza, please contact us at brentoninfo@downtownDSMUSA.com or (515) 284-1000 to make arrangements for parking.